Kelvin flats, memorys.

My playground when I was little. Lovely memories but only through the eyes of a child. Going up and down in lifts, running from one end to the other, hide and seek, tiggy. Such innocence

I had a TV shop across from the flats selling and renting TV's on the flats,made some good money at the time,never had any problems with the people there, they were all good customers,just carrying the big old telly's up the stairs and in the lifts was a pain,my mate who worked with me at the time sold this dodgy telly to this lady one day when I was on holiday and she came in the shop kicking off big fashion,my mate shot out the back when she came in the shop as she was real Les Dawson type character,I thought I mite as well deal with her as he had gone,I stood in the shop and said sorry about your telly not being very good missis just pick another one and I will deliver it for you,any one she said yes any one you want I replied,and yes you guest it she pick the best and dearest telly in the shop,so off she went with a smile on her face as my mate walk back into the shop,we had a big argument about giving her this telly but I stuck to my word and delivered this TV to her as promised,she was a well known gossip on the flats so I did not want to up set her,over the next few years it was amazing the amount of busyness this lady got us on the flats.:)

I recall getting a temp ban for commenting on what a <removed>tip Shiregreen is.

What, apart from the local council agreeing with me, is the difference between one <removed>tip and the other.

Yep - Thick chavs still live in one of them.

My nan lived at number 77 Portland walk there was a pub underneath not sure if it was called Half Penny/Penny Black.

I remember someone saying kids were playing on the lifts and one lad had his head took off not sure how true that was I was only around eight year old.

My nan lived at number 77 Portland walk there was a pub underneath not sure if it was called Half Penny/Penny Black.

I remember someone saying kids were playing on the lifts and one lad had his head took off not sure how true that was I was only around eight year old.

It would have been the halfpenny, mistyraven. the penny black is in Pond Street.

I'm not sure about the story about the child killed by a lift on the Kelvin, but I can confirm that the same incident did, indeed, happen to a boy of about 11/12, on Norfolk Park, this boy was a friend of my cousin.

Someone had managed to get a lift door open on a middle floor of the block. Kids being kids, the young lad was curious, and put his head through the opening, to have a look down the lift shaft.

Sadly, the lift was on its way down as he did this, and struck the lad, and (unsurprisingly) the lad died... Shocking, and horrifying incident.

Archived