Bankers Bonuses £14bn

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/City-bonus-row-sheer-greed-tele-3771496276.html

According to this article, bonuses of £14bn were paid to bankers and financial sector workers to the end of the last financial year, up £2bn from 2008/09, and on average only £100 less per person than last year.

I for one, am a little disgusted by this. I've previously been of the thought that private companies can pay whatever bonuses they want, particularly the ones that didn't need a bail out. I still do think that on the whole, but clearly there is a heavy public interest in ensuring bonuses are not excessive (bonus culture partly blamed for excessive risk taking), something which the government, Osbourne and Project Merlin have obviously completely failed in.

What you have to think is, whose money are they playing with, where does it come from? From the people of course, through our savings, pension funds and other investments. Great when it makes a bit of money for us and our pension fund, not so great if it goes tits up again.

There's some very bitter and jealous people on here. Why can't they just accept that some people earn more money than they do, just as there are also people who earn less?

Quite.. I don't remember there being a problem on here when Direct SPorts announced bonuses of double their worker's wages a couple of weeks back..

It's nowt to do with any of us what bankers get paid, either in wages or bonuses.

The problem is we the public now own a controlling interest in some banks that we the public bailed out. We do have an interest in what these banks pay their "staff". All bonuses should be suspended until all the money they received from the public purse is re paid.

Regards

Phil*

It's nowt to do with any of us what bankers get paid, either in wages or bonuses.

The problem is we the public now own a controlling interest in some banks that we the public bailed out. We do have an interest in what these banks pay their "staff". All bonuses should be suspended until all the money they received from the public purse is re paid.

Regards

Phil*

Do we know which banks paid what? How much is still owing by the banks? If they still owe money then how will making their employees seek employment elsewhere (moving to banks who will pay a bonus) help tp repay it..? Genuine questions..

Regards

Phil*

I agree with you Phil.

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/City-bonus-row-sheer-greed-tele-3771496276.html

According to this article, bonuses of £14bn were paid to bankers and financial sector workers to the end of the last financial year, up £2bn from 2008/09, and on average only £100 less per person than last year.

I for one, am a little disgusted by this. I've previously been of the thought that private companies can pay whatever bonuses they want, particularly the ones that didn't need a bail out. I still do think that on the whole, but clearly there is a heavy public interest in ensuring bonuses are not excessive (bonus culture partly blamed for excessive risk taking), something which the government, Osbourne and Project Merlin have obviously completely failed in.

What you have to think is, whose money are they playing with, where does it come from? From the people of course, through our savings, pension funds and other investments. Great when it makes a bit of money for us and our pension fund, not so great if it goes tits up again.

Do you use any of the banks that paid large bonuses? if you do and you disagree with the bonuses being paid stop using the bank, there’s plenty of choice.

Archived