Washing machines live longer with Calgon.

You don't need any water softener in Sheffield since the water is already ultra-soft. There's no problems with limescale either, for the same reason.

And you don't need to put any dishwasher salt in your dishwasher as it's totally unnecessary here.

I live in Barnsley and the water is not too good. I don't know if it's hard or what, but limescale is a real problem. Even having one cup of tea leaves a thick scum around the cup. I have one of those Brita filter jugs and filter all my drinking water. Especially when I fill the kettle. I don't use Calgon, I get Wilkinsons own brand stuff to put in the washing machine, and it keeps away the limescale perfectly. That's my experience anyway!

Mind you, I did look on the Yorkshire water link, and can confirm that where I live the water Is hard water. (Wombwell), so it's just as well I take the precautions I do. I 'did' a kettle in less than about 3 months before I realised. It got completely furred up, and I had to replace it. I've had a new kettle now, and been using it with the filtered water and it's still pristine. I dread to think what the gubbins in my washing machine would be like if I didn't use those tablets.