Statement of Educational Needs: Sheffield vs Rotherham

cofster

Hi all, I wondered how difficult it is to get a SEN in Sheffield? Trying to get one for my boy in Rotherham and finding it very difficult to say the least. I have a school which practically admits they cannot provide the support my boy needs however refuse to request a SEN? I tried myself 6mths ago but because the school refused to support my application they binned it (I am applying again now). I just wondered if there was any difference between Sheff and Roth council with they way they do things?

i spent yrs in denial my son had problem, finally bit the bullet cos he needed help and got referred to ryegate via the school, he got an S.E.N in yr5 hes now in yr7. i have heard of people being made to wait years. its a long process. try your family GP as i know they can refer you and it will be quicker if he has a medical background with the problems too.

here is a link to direct.gov website regarding S.E.N will tell you everything you need to know.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Parents/Schoolslearninganddevelopment/SpecialEducationalNeeds/DG_4000835

good luck.

I believe it is difficult to get a statement. However it is not the schools decision - if you as the parent want the council to carry out an assessment for a statement of educational needs you can do this and request the school to send in supporting evidence of your childs needs.

However if the school does not think your child needs a statement - it would be difficult!

Hi all, I wondered how difficult it is to get a SEN in Sheffield? Trying to get one for my boy in Rotherham and finding it very difficult to say the least. I have a school which practically admits they cannot provide the support my boy needs however refuse to request a SEN? I tried myself 6mths ago but because the school refused to support my application they binned it (I am applying again now). I just wondered if there was any difference between Sheff and Roth council with they way they do things?

In want way are school failing to meet his needs? i ask because if it socially, emotionally or behavioural then you will struggle no matter which LEA youre dealing with. Does your lad have a diagnosis of anything? if so what have they put in place to help support him?

Hi cofster, Have you been in touch with Parents Partnership in Rotherham? If not they are having an open day tomorrow at the Carers' Corner in the town centre. If you can be there between 10 - 12, I can arrange for somebody to talk to you and sort out how you can be helped. The Carers' Corner is in the shopping block opposite the Central Library.

why not write a letter to Director for Children's Services explaining the concerns about your child's education and lack of action so far. Ask for a meeting to discuss further

Joyce Thacker

Strategic Director, Children and Young People’s Services

Norfolk House

Rotherham

S65

here are a few links that might help

link for info http://www.rotherham.gov.uk/info/9/special_educational_needs-assessment/698/special_educational_needs

http://www.rotherham.gov.uk/info/9/special_educational_needs-assessment/698/special_educational_needs/4

one final thing - Persevere, persevere and again persevere you know what is best for your son

Hi cofster, Have you been in touch with Parents Partnership in Rotherham? If not they are having an open day tomorrow at the Carers' Corner in the town centre. If you can be there between 10 - 12, I can arrange for somebody to talk to you and sort out how you can be helped. The Carers' Corner is in the shopping block opposite the Central Library.

good idea and excellent timing - hope the OP sees this in time.

Could you add the contact details for the parent partnership in case the OP doesn't see this message tonight?

My son gets 10 hours.

He has severe learning difficulties and the mental age of 5 (hes 13).

His school are amazing. They give him way over his allocated hours but the LEA area joke.

They dont care one bit and they just send him for endless assesments. When one assesment is done they never make a decision. Since he was 11 hes had 4 assesments on the trott and not one decision made.

The main thing is to get them in a good school where they give a damn and let them help you sort the sen out.

Archived