Cheapest place to buy a kindle?

You'll want to start here. If you scroll down that page, you'll see a comparison between the two models currently available in the UK.

And here you'll find lots of support information.

Your main source of purchased books will be Amazon, as the Kindle mobi format isn't widely supported. Actually, I can't think of anywhere else that sells ebooks for Kindle. I'm sure someone will correct that if I'm wrong.

Prices vary from roughly the same as the book in paper format (sometimes a little more, sometimes a little less), to 50p or so for some offers and self-published texts. Quality varies... You can download a sample before you buy, usually the first chapter or so. If you're expecting ebooks to always be substantially cheaper than paperbooks you'll be disappointed, though Amazon usually has ebook offers.

You can get free books for the Kindle from Amazon and from sites like this one. Free books are usually restricted to the classics, and other books that are out of copyright. Some of the free books from places other than Amazon will be in a format not supported by the Kindle. If you use Calibre, it's easy to convert to the Kindle-supported mobi format. Be aware that the Calibre conversion only works on DRM-free books; you won't be able to buy an ebook from WH Smiths, for example, and convert it for use on the Kindle.

Reading on the Kindle is a remarkably pleasant experience, as the e-ink interface is easy on the eye. The standard Kindle is less useful (I'd say not at all useful) for text books and the like, due to the small screen and because some diagrams and images tend not to be handled as well as they could be. If the recipient intends to use it just for novels, all will be well.

A search on here will throw up a few more threads about the Kindle too.

One disadvantage to think about if you are plumping for the Kindle:-

I was told when I bought my e-book (not a kindle) that the kindle only allowed you to get your books from Amazon, whereas the one I bought was able to have e-books from pretty much anywhere. Quite limiting, really.

One disadvantage to think about if you are plumping for the Kindle:-

I was told when I bought my e-book (not a kindle) that the kindle only allowed you to get your books from Amazon, whereas the one I bought was able to have e-books from pretty much anywhere. Quite limiting, really.

Like Amazon's paper book catalogue, their Kindle store is rather large and varied. Their prices compare favourably to, for example, WH Smith; a quick shufty at the latter's top five fiction ebooks are the same price, or cheaper, on Amazon.

I've never felt that having a Kindle limited my choice of ebook; though there was a thread on here a week or two ago about Amazon's relatively poor selection of books in French. Not sure how other suppliers compare in that respect.

Everything that Hecate said x 10. There's absolutely no downside, no limit.

We've got both models in the house, both are fabulous, both melt away in your hand, both will rekindle your love for the written word and let the writers thoughts and ideas leap into your mind.

Everything that Hecate said x 10. There's absolutely no downside, no limit.

We've got both models in the house, both are fabulous, both melt away in your hand, both will rekindle your love for the written word and let the writers thoughts and ideas leap into your mind.

They are lovely to use. I have one of the Amazon covers with the built-in light for my original-model Kindle; perfect for reading in bed.

Read a book. 2 pages at a time.

You have 2 pages open in your hand at any time.

Read a Kindle, 1/4 to 1/3rd of a page text on screen.

You'll soon get bored. If your an avid reader.

An EBook is an Ebook. There's no limitations.

Just download the EBook, and convert at your leisure.

As usual, someone will tell me I'm wrong !

'Google' usually finds good results for EBook converters.

My Dad was looking at Kindles in Curry's at Meadowhall last week, I told him if he wanted one I could get him one on Amazon for £89, he said no thanks.. But that's more down to the fact both he and Mum have got a cob on about me spending money like it's going out of style!

Archived