Why isn't there a bus from sheffield to leeds?

verydull

SHEFFIELD - LEEDS

The white rose express network which went to various towns and cities including Leeds survived deregulation , however the combination of increased competition from the railways, increased traffic congestion and the hourly service on national express meant the bus service to leeds was no longer viable . Rememeber that in days of old there were several services from Sheffield to Leeds none of them are now viable and the PTEs will not fund tended services.

MANCHESTER

The final manchester service (X48) was withdrawn the day before dergeulation. Richardsons ran a Sheffield - Manchester Airport extended to manchester did run for a bit when SYT took it over they increased the number of journeys again this stopped running due to lack of demand and was not commercail .

Again the increase of the number of trains going to manchester and the reduced journey times make bus travel unatractive

At the end of the day services have to make a profit for them to be run.

But there are bus/coach services between Sheffield and Leeds.

Quickly checking the Megabus website I see that on Monday the 8.55 from Meadowhall Interchange arrives at Leeds Kirkgate Stand K14 at 9.50, cost £3.00.

Leaving Leeds at 18.00 on Monday, Kirkgate Stand K14, you'd be back at Meadowhall for 18.45, cost £3.00.

Other times are available.

National Express also run between Sheffield and Leeds coach station, fare £3.15, journey time a little longer.

BTW, you can get an infrequent National Express coach from Sheffield to Manchester, but it takes a minimum of 1 hour 30 minutes, and up to 3 hours - no wonder the half hourly fast train service is packed! But it only costs £4.60 each way.

It does my head in sitting on a bus for 15 minutes getting back from town, never mind being on it for an hour at least to get that far. £3 on the Megabus isn't bad! To say it costs me £2.10 to go 2 miles to town! Saying that though, I have been to London for £1 on the megabus.

Archived