Continental Market on Fargate

I enjoyed the fragrance of garlic and the atmosphere which the continental market brought to Fargate. Judging by the response of Sheffield folk and visitors, it was a major success. In fact, it could become a permanent feature for my money! The large dishes of meat, prawns, potatoes, the baguettes, cheeses, sausages, cherries looked and smelled fantastic. The flowers and plants from Holland ... If you missed it, pop down quick, it finishes today!

I saw the continental market. I thought it was a bit of a hazard though. The food wasn't protected, people could just walk up, cough and splutter all over it if they pleased. Also, the smell of lush was wafting all over the food and so people'd be tasting a tinge of handmade soap with their food!

Caprice: About food hygiene. Don't worry yourself too much. You'll be fine. It all comes from the ground anyway, or an animal. Cheese is like mould. There are germs everywhere. Just because it's not in plastic doesn't mean its less safe. People cough in factories too you know, and sweat, I certainly did at Fletcher's Bakery when I was there. Look at all the old folk at Castle Market - if there were problems with the food on display there then they would all be ill wouldn't they?

Archived