News: 'Forum' ram raid and arson attack (photos)

Geoff

Following a discussion in another thread, Geoff, your friendly roaming/aspiring reporter went out to discover more about last night's attack on the forum. Basically, the news so far is that a car was purposely rammed in to the forum and then 'torched' with the aid of a petrol can. This happened around 5am on Friday morning. The car has now been removed and the cleaning up process has begun.

I took several photos which will be posted shortly.

Feel free to borrow any of the details mentioned above to post on other forums, sites, etc. - but please acknowledge the source as Sheffield Forum - I didn't get soaked for nothing!

PS. Thanks to user 'the fonz' for breaking this story at 9am :)

Ok, here is what Sheffield police have told me about the incident. Feel free to distribute this, but please acknowledge SheffieldForum.co.uk as the source.

By the way, glad to see that we 'beat' The Star and also BBC South Yorkshire with the story/photos - perhaps they will stop ignoring this web site now...

A car was driven in to a retail complex in central Sheffield and subsequently burst in to flames. Police were called when CCTV operators noticed flames coming from the 'Forum' bar/shopping complex on Devonshire Green at around 5am this morning. Nothing was stolen from the complex. A red Vauxhall Nova was seen to drive in and then out of the plate glass window of the Forum and detectives are investigating the possibility the fire was started deliberately. A man was then seen to run away from the scene across Devonshire green. He was white with either very dark hair or a dark hat. Police are appealing for witnesses who should call CID on 296 4164.

Remember where you heard/saw it first :)

I was wondering the same thing, however it's a little extreme/serious for that. Consider the fact that the forum closes at 1am - the guy must have been very, very annoyed to stay up 4 more hours (at the minimum) and then crash his car (on CCTV) in to the place.

Damn, there I was thinking everyone was gawping at the photos and not noticing my slip-ups...

...but then again, maybe I accidentally guessed correctly, which could explain his decision to 'torch it' - i.e. under the delusion it would make it untraceable...

Originally posted by E-Man Groovin

[Conspiracy theory]

Maybe a rival who wants to hurt their business? The Forum does completely dominate the nightlife in central Sheffield...

[/Conspiracy theory]

Possibly, this is a very busy time of year what with Christmas parties and special Christmas/New Year nights...

...anyone know someone that works there - get some inside gossip perhaps...?

Archived