First Non Smoking Pub in The Area To Open 1 Nov

Mo

At last somebody has recognised that we don't all want to be choked on cigarette smoke as we have a drink, not to mention stinking like an old ashtray when we leave. Hooray.

The Phoenix at High Lane, Ridgeway (just a little bit further than White Lane at Gleadless) opens tomorrow and bills itself as Sheffield's first smoke free pub. It has just been refurbished and promises good food as well.

I hope all you lot who don't like breathing in other peoples pollution will give it a try.

Not very rock and roll.

Wonder what type of clientele they'll attract.

I'm a non smoker myself, but as smokers come to pubs expecting to smoke and drink and relax, it seems that this pub will be more of a restaurant than a place to go for a night out.

Oh, and try stopping people from smoking.......

Don't get me wrong, I don't like breathing in other's smoke, but with enough fans and air circulation, pubs needn't be the smokey holes they used to be labelled as.

By excluding smokers, you're excluding some big drinkers who keep the profits rolling in....that's from a business perspective.

Thats as may be Classic, but as a non smoker I welcome it.

We won't all be sipping the tomato juice you know, I love a pint or two.

I suppose thay have done their research before they have made the decision and obviously see a demand for it.

Originally posted by Classic Rock

Not very rock and roll.

I'm a non smoker myself, but as smokers come to pubs expecting to smoke and drink and relax, it seems that this pub will be more of a restaurant than a place to go for a night out.

Don't get me wrong, I don't like breathing in other's smoke, but with enough fans and air circulation, pubs needn't be the smokey holes they used to be labelled as.

By excluding smokers, you're excluding some big drinkers who keep the profits rolling in....that's from a business perspective.

The attempt must be applauded though. Also, there is no proof that banning smoking in a pub reduces its earnings. There are many studies which show quite the opposite. I haven't got the time to find them atm but they are there.

Perhaps this new pub could be a future venue for a meet (not on a Thursday though).

If the trend continues as it is then one day in the not so distant future, all pubs may ban smoking. Not sure if it'll happen, but it has been rumoured.....

That'll be 'interesting' to re-inforce and implement.

Right folks....this is my last post for 2 weeks, I'm off on my hols. Ta ta for now.

Originally posted by Classic Rock

Not very rock and roll.

Me for one. I will probably go with a group of friends and have a meal.

The pub is in quite a picturesque area so I don't suppose big drinkers are in their clientelle.

Originally posted by Mo

... and bills itself as Sheffield's first smoke free pub.

The Gardeners' Rest, on Neepseed lane, is smoke free and has been for a while I believe. They did a survey of the regulars and it was decided by the majority.

Archived