Memories of growing up in 80s Sheffield...

JBee

Were you a child growing up in 1980s Sheffield?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Were you a child growing up in 1980s Sheffield?

• Yes, I was an 80s child, complete with poodle perm!
    • MY children were 80s kids (making me a bit old!)
    • I'm in me twilight years and too senile to remember the 80s.
    • I'm freshly hatched and far too young to remember the 80s

Lets find out how many 80s children we have on this Forum...

This is not a thread about spandex and Spandau Ballet... It's about YOUR memories from growing up in the 80s in Sheffield.

Personally I remember my mother dressing me in those god-aweful callotte things and crimping my hair, WALKING to school (god forbid!), being given a carton of milk at break-time, and computer games that were loaded from cassette tapes.

I remember trips into town when The Moor was less scabby, the trams were non-exhistant, and John Lewis was Cole Brothers. I also remember the Christimas lights being a damn-sight more impressive, but perhaps I was just being young and niave!:suspect:

My favourite parks were Graves Park (are the big hairy Highland Cows still there now), and millhouses Park when it had those wierd blue empty swimming pool things.

I remember when swings, slides and seesaws had tarmack or concrete underneath them instead of child-friendly soft surfaces!

:roll:

And Heeley City Farm used to have two huge black and white bunnies that you could cuddle!

Anyone got anything to add...?

Yeah I remember most of those!

The highland cattle are still there, I went to see them not long ago, they are still as big and cuddly as ever.

Do you remember the fishtank in the hole in the road? Millhouses Park has changed so much now, does anyone know if they still do the rubber duck races down the river there?

Oh shucks I feel all nostalgic! Remember most of the same things, especially the fish bowl, felt sad when that went.

I remember having to go to Bishop's House with school all the bloody time.

I remember really really cheap busfares.

I remember walking home from School (Greenhill) and my Mum going to the two Woods Supermarkets.

I remeber being rather mean with a group of kids on Annesley Rd (Greenhill again) to a local character who the kids named "Chicken George". :( Of course I feel terrible now.

I remember wearing Fergie bows in my hair and had a particularly attractive (?) tiger patterned one. MMMMM, classy.

I remember my Mum taking me to C & A clothes shopping for school.

That'll do for now.

Originally posted by sugarnspice

I remember having to go to Bishop's House with school all the bloody time.

Thats on the days when you weren't dragged round Khelm Island right? :D

I don't think I have visited either since the age of 10 and have no imediate plans to remedy that situation.

I remeber the escalators that went from near the old boots (?) down into the hole in the road. And the big, long thin sculpture of a man (looked like he was aleep or crying) on the side of C&A.

I remeber when it used to cost 2p for me on the bus and there were conductors and I remember the Miners Wives stall outside the town Hall.

Wow I feel old now ;)

I remember earning £1.50 for my first day in my Saturday morning job (aged 14) at the bakers and blowing the princely sum of £1.27 on a bottle of Martini Rosso, drinking it in Crookes Valley Park with two girl friends (they had to make do with 2l of cider each, not having my vast earnings to fund their habit) (Deb Holland, are you there?!), throwing it all up at the party at the back of the South Seas, calling for the boy I fancied at the time (Mark Tilbrook are you out there?!), being put on the bus and being back in the house (unwell and in disgrace, need I say that?) by 8.30pm.

Oh the joys of being young!

:P

I can remember having day-glo Fresh-Prince odd yellow and orange socks.

Tumbling Teds (and Tumbling Tots) at the YMCA on Saturdays.

Being the last of the 'Rising Fives' at Nethergreen First School, and the last of the 'middle school' kids before the schools all turned to junior schools.

Maybe when I'm less hungover I'll be able to remember a few more...

Originally posted by JBee

I remember trips into town when The Moor was less scabby, the trams were non-exhistant, and John Lewis was Cole Brothers. I also remember the Christimas lights being a damn-sight more impressive, but perhaps I was just being young and niave!:suspect:

My favourite parks were Graves Park (are the big hairy Highland Cows still there now), and millhouses Park when it had those wierd blue empty swimming pool things.

Do you mean the paddling pools, I remember them with water in, we used to have a fantastic time in there, I can't understand why they can't be revamped.

Originally posted by ADC_28

I can remember having day-glo Fresh-Prince odd yellow and orange socks.

Tumbling Teds (and Tumbling Tots) at the YMCA on Saturdays.

Being the last of the 'Rising Fives' at Nethergreen First School, and the last of the 'middle school' kids before the schools all turned to junior schools.

Maybe when I'm less hungover I'll be able to remember a few more...

ADC how old were you in, say, '77? Just curious....were you still in Nethergreen then?

I remember just travelling on buses for the sake of it with my friends (2p bus fare) buying shoes from Rebina (think thats what it was called) Walking round town with my big boom box (cringe cringe) Going to meet lads that we had spoken to on the 'talkabout service' Being nearly killed by my dad for putting an extra £150 on the phone bill ! Yummy wham bars been twice as big as they are today. Wlking round with a leather jacket hanging half way down arms and thinking I was cool, the awful hair styles which used to mean using half a tub of hair gel a day! Ahhh bring back the 80's.

Archived