Sheffield's new £80m theme park

duffman

Sheffield is set to get a theme park in a 30 acre plot of land at Parkwood springs next to the ski village, the park "X-mountain" is estimated to create 600 jobs. Plans include restaurants, hotel, bars, appartments and possibly an amphitheatre.

The park itself will have an alpine feel, with an indoor snowdome and state of the art rides.

The park could open within 3 years and will be built in phases.

Plans are subject to grants and funding.

Guest Mr BusDriver

The nearist bus route is the 53 (15 mins walk away) there is of course just underneath the Ski Village the old Sheffield Victoria - Manchester Via Woodhead Line.

What a great idea build a station there and have a conecting train service from Sheffield Midland.

DOH!!!:loopy: Sorry I fogot, this is Sheffield, S.Y.P.T.E are to STUPID to think of that idea:loopy:

I can’t see why there should be too much "red tape" to stop this. There may be other more technical problems like the road infrastructure – the Ski Village has an appalling road that doesn't have the capacity at the moment. Upgrading may include buying more land / premises before the cost of the new road itself. The biggie will be the amount of funding needed compared to the potential income that it will generate. Expect to see watered down versions of some of the plans as it happens piecemeal.

Good luck to the Ski Village and its owners (it’s not the Council). It is an ambitious plan that deserves lots of success!

Yes, good luck to them, I hope it happens and is a success. It will be a good thing to have in the city, it should attract people to the area not just for a day out, but for short breaks, plus I'm sure locals may make good use of the facilities.

In terms if transport there, and Mr Bus Drivers comments, I'm afraid I do not think the rail link option would be the right thing to do, as frankly X-Mountain alone would not generate sufficient business for the railway to justify such a large start up cost. The fares paid for Sheffield-Parkwood springs would be low yield, and passengers would probably just travel there in the morning and back in the afternoon, that would be just 2 runs! You must remember that whilst the track is there running past the site, that line does not run to Sheffield 'Midland' station. It goes over the wicker arches and joins the Sheffield to Lincoln line. From that junction the train has a choice of 3 places to go - left onto the woodbourn jn freight line round the back of the arena through tinsley to Rotherham OR, straight on through Darnall and Woodhouse and onto Worksop, or right via Beighton to Chesterfield. To get to Sheffield station the train would have to go to Tinsley and reverse. Then of course a trackside walking route would have to be created for the driver to change ends and phone the signalman. The line would have to be upgraded for passenger use and the journey time would be long. For that reason the only way you could justify creating the train service if it was part of a bigger project to introduce a new passenger service route along the whole valley - Stannington-Wadsley Bridge-Parkwood Springs-Sheffield Wicker (Victoria) and possibly on to Rotherham or Chesterfield. Such a service would require a significant subsidy as I cannot imagine it being commercially viable.

Therefore a much more sensible solution would be to introduce a shuttle bus from the city centre and possibly from Hillsborough. Or maybe a route 53a Sheffield-Hillsborough via X-Mountain.

I think regardless of what public transport is provided, such a development would require a significant car parking facility, so I would assume the road would be upgraded to service the car park anyway.

What it needs is to develop slowly into a theme park on the scale of say Alton Towers, by having Rollercoasters etc. It'd make more families go there thats for sure!

Thorpe Park started as "Just a water park" and look at it now!

Originally posted by duffman

Sheffield is set to get a theme park in a 30 acre plot of land at Parkwood springs next to the ski village, the park "X-mountain" is estimated to create 600 jobs. Plans include restaurants, hotel, bars, appartments and possibly an amphitheatre.

The park itself will have an alpine feel, with an indoor snowdome and state of the art rides.

The park could open within 3 years and will be built in phases.

Plans are subject to grants and funding.

Archived