The lost art of conversation

Originally posted by jackthedog

It must be due to the fact that most kids are brought up by their Playstations instead of their parents.

How very true - or told to 'go and play' Or an even better one 'shut up' what about parents playing with them, and whats the point in teaching a child to speak to then spend the next few year telling them to 'shut up' ????

Kids learn through play, and if they are stuck in front of a DVD or a Playstation then they will probably grow up useless and as Jack said - unable to string a sentence together !!!

I completely agree that the art of conversation is lost. However I would like to add that I regard myself as a conversationalist and I had computers, consoles and books coming out of my ears as a child; So it doesn't always follow.

The problem is that TV/video games/whatever have become the purpose of the evening, instead of just providing entertainment. I hate going to visit someone and ending up just playing games or watching TV. I could've done that at home...

Originally posted by Agent Dan

I completely agree that the art of conversation is lost. However I would like to add that I regard myself as a conversationalist and I had computers, consoles and books coming out of my ears as a child; So it doesn't always follow.

The problem is that TV/video games/whatever have become the purpose of the evening, instead of just providing entertainment. I hate going to visit someone and ending up just playing games or watching TV. I could've done that at home...

Same here! When I meet my friends I don't want to spend a few hours in the cinema then go home or just stare infront of the TV, I like a good conversation, and when I was younger I had a console etc, but we all enjoyed a game of football or some sort of sport then just chat after over a coffee, the best days of my life (sigh).

Lets not be all romantic about the past. There has always been something that is 'destroying the youth of today'. Once it was punk and before that rock and roll and before that.....well you get me point. In fact everyone always thinks things were better back in the day. Besides if you have ever try to listen to a converstaion between two teenagers you will end up wishing that they would shout up and text each other instead; its kinder to society.

Archived