Minimum Drinking Age

I know this topic has been covered before but this is a different slant on the problem.

The legal minimum drinking age in this country is 18. Now, imagine this scenario. Half a dozen pubs in a relatively small area on the outskirts of Sheffield (no prizes for guessing which area)! Some of them have a traditionally young clientele, especially in the 18-21 age group, and they get the problems often associated with that age group, including a lot of underage drinking. Now, two of the 'problem' pubs suddenly raise their minimum age limit to 21, thus instantly eradicating most of their problems. The other pubs are well run, have a wide ranging age group eg 18-80 and have few, if any problems. Their customers enjoy their nights out.

Now, where do all these displaced 16-21 years age group go? You guessed it, they head for the 'good' pubs! Through no fault of their own, the landlords/ladies of these pubs suddenly have a large influx of 16-21 year olds, which vastly increases the pressure on them, especially in the underage drinking stakes. Seems like the pubs that raised the minimum age have passed the buck with no regard for the other pubs in the area.

I'm no expert on the law but can a licensee legally raise the minimum admission/drinking age to 21 :confused:

A licenced establishment has the right to refuse to admit/serve whoever they choose. Lets hope the 'good pubs' excercise their right before they loose your custom too ;)

PS - the legal minimum age for drinking in this country is 5 - if you're at home :thumbsup:

Are you sure about that minimum age Strix? Just asking cos I thought the law statesd that it is illegal to knowingly buy alcohol that will be consumed by anyone under the legal age which is 18?

When I worked in a particular shop if we sold alcohol to someone for use by a minor then we would be in serious trouble.

Just asking for that to be clarified.

Dragon

Thanks for that Strix. Noted and stored for future reference.

Check in at your local supermarket or booze shop and see what they tell you concerning the sale of alcohol for use by minors and I think you will find most would refuse such sale. I can only relate what we are told in shops that actually sell alcohol and this information is given to us by the police themselves so unless the law has changed or there is a seriously grey area - I am not sure why we are being watched so rigorously in the sale of alcohol.

Just thinking aloud.

Dragon

Originally posted by Dragon

Check in at your local supermarket or booze shop and see what they tell you concerning the sale of alcohol for use by minors and I think you will find most would refuse such sale. I can only relate what we are told in shops that actually sell alcohol and this information is given to us by the police themselves so unless the law has changed or there is a seriously grey area - I am not sure why we are being watched so rigorously in the sale of alcohol.

Just thinking aloud.

Dragon

I think the law says you cannot buy alcohol for use by minors, But if you have alcohol at you house you can let kids from the age of about 5 drink it

Originally posted by Dragon

Just thinking aloud.

Dragon

I suspect it has a lot to do with the hoardes of teens hanging round outside off-licences and branches of co-op and Spar pestering 'grown ups' to buy them booze.

What's the difference between them buying it themselves and sending somebody in on an errand for them? ;)

(parental control perhaps?)

the licensee can apply the law as he/she sees fit.current legislation allows anyone "who looks under 21" to be asked for id to prove they're 18.

perhaps the real question should be why are 18-21 year olds unable to handle they're drink?

Archived