Ban on smoking in public places

Should smoking be banned in public places?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Should smoking be banned in public places?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't know / care

Gareth Thomas MP is presenting a bill to ban smoking in all public places. I'm over the moon....what do you all think?

I'm sick and tired of selfish people who think that they should have the right to practically gas me and my asthmatic daughter when we are out and about. Our movements are restricted by whether smoking is allowed or not...this is not fair :(:(

If people want to smoke fine but they should be restricted to their own homes where they will only give themselves cancer.

I can't bother people with bonfire smoke, emmisions from my car are now monitored, I can't burn coal unless it's smokeless etc etc but smokers can pollute my breath quite freely........discuss.

Originally posted by "Mo"

Gareth Thomas MP is presenting a bill to ban smoking in all public places. I'm over the moon....what do you all think?

I'm sick and tired of selfish people who think that they should have the right to practically gas me and my asthmatic daughter when we are out and about. Our movements are restricted by whether smoking is allowed or not...this is not fair :(:(

If people want to smoke fine but they should be restricted to their own homes where they will only give themselves cancer.

I can't bother people with bonfire smoke, emmisions from my car are now monitored, I can't burn coal unless it's smokeless etc etc but smokers can pollute my breath quite freely........discuss.

I'm all for this to be honest!

As a doorman and working in a smoky club, I dread to think what my lungs are inhaling.

OK it's part of the job, but as human rights we should all be able to 'WORK' in a safe environment (and I feel a smoky one isn't)!

I truly hope that the Bill is passed and that this ban is enforced!

With you on that one Mo. I'm looking forward to being able to eat a meal in a restaurant without other people smoking at the next table. Also, being able to go to the pub without having to wash my hair and clothes afterwards.

Just seen your comment DaBouncer and that's the main reason for Gareth Thomas' bill; to protect workers from inhaling smoke.

My points will be just nice side effects.

:roll:

There are smoke free pubs. Smoke free restaurants. Smoke free areas in most of the others. You cannot smoke in most workplaces. You cannot smoke on the bus. You cannot smoke on the tram. You cannot smoke in shops. Or many trains. Or many/any? aeroplanes.

The one or two restaurants that I go to that allow smoking do not insist on people eating there and nowhere else, and as smokers themselves would prob'ly not be terribly happy about big bro telling them they cannot smoke or allow smoke in the restaurant that they own. Same with the pubs.

By all means there could/should be encouragement for more places to be smoke free, but passing laws/banning smoking in public...that strikes me as prescriptive to say the very, very least.

How about banning obnoxiously strong perfumes/body sprays and aftershaves in public. They make people wheeze, are ecologically and environmentally unsound, and smell at least as bad as ciggie smoke. :lol:

Laura

hoping she didn't leave America's big brother behind only to find he's followed her here.

Originally posted by "senseofplace"

There are smoke free pubs. Smoke free restaurants. Smoke free areas in most of the others. You cannot smoke in most workplaces. You cannot smoke on the bus. You cannot smoke on the tram. You cannot smoke in shops. Or many trains. Or many/any? aeroplanes.

The one or two restaurants that I go to that allow smoking do not insist on people eating there and nowhere else, and as smokers themselves would prob'ly not be terribly happy about big bro telling them they cannot smoke or allow smoke in the restaurant that they own. Same with the pubs.

By all means there could/should be encouragement for more places to be smoke free, but passing laws/banning smoking in public...that strikes me as prescriptive to say the very, very least.

How about banning obnoxiously strong perfumes/body sprays and aftershaves in public. They make people wheeze, are ecologically and environmentally unsound, and smell at least as bad as ciggie smoke. :lol:

Laura

I have to disagree, how can Smoking compare to Perfume?

Smoking SERIOUSLY DAMAGES Health. Perfume doesn't... plain and simple really!

If people want to smoke in bars and restaurants, then give them a seperate room (nr the back) for those people to indulge in this behaviour.

I don't feel that I should have to be subjected to possible future serious health problems, just so people can light up a ciggie and smoke it! If people want to kill themselves by smoking, FINE, I'm all for it, but just don't drag me down with you!

:lol:

Originally posted by "senseofplace"

Laura

hoping she didn't leave America's big brother behind only to find he's followed her here.

Sorry Laura but this won't wash. My child never had an asthma attack because somebody overdid it on the old aftershave.

I don't visit pubs in the town centre any more but if the number of smoke free pubs in the suburbs is anything to go on then there aren't very many.

The designation of non smoking areas just does not work as smoke cannot read and drifts where it will. This idea is nothing more than a token gesture.

You never know, the smokers pubs and restaurants you frequent might just see an upturn in business if they went smokeless. :)

Laura, I'd be interested to know where these smoke free restaurants are. In my experience the majority allow smoking and a few have non-smoking areas. To re-iterate a previous poster's point non-smoking areas are a waste of space.

If after-shave and perfume upset you then start up a pressure group and lobby your MP for a ban on wearing it in public places.

Originally posted by "Mo"

The designation of non smoking areas just does not work as smoke cannot read and drifts where it will. This idea is nothing more than a token gesture.

I think that for a start a smokers room (with a door that closes, and lots of Air Con') would be a good idea.

Make it small too, so smokers are either crammed in, or they get used to the idea that smoking will no longer be tollerated! :lol:

BAN ALL SMOKING... BAN IT!

Originally posted by "RPG"

Not a total ban on smoking full stop, why? because the taxes generated are huuuge! :D

Where are these taxes spent? On Cancer research and Cancer Treament with the NHS. The money it generates goes directly back into fighting the disease(s) it causes!

Archived