Sheffield in the 70s

Michael_W

Just a few characters people 60+ may remember: Long Sammy, Duke of Darnall, Russian Edna, Big Ada and Mary Mary who walked from town to Crookes in the gutter, irrespective of traffic? Then there was the blind man who sold lavender on the Moor by the Union St. arcade.

Just a few characters people 60+ may remember: Long Sammy, Duke of Darnall, Russian Edna, Big Ada and Mary Mary who walked from town to Crookes in the gutter, irrespective of traffic? Then there was the blind man who sold lavender on the Moor by the Union St. arcade.
i'm not 60 plus but i remember the blind man would i be right in saying he used to stand near suggs ? and also big ada i think she was the one who had a stall selling on dixon lane would i be right ? .

I presume you geezers are talking about the old Black Swan in town? Strangely enough I named my boat the 'Mucky Duck' and included a black swan in the logo... But then I am in Perth, Oz and our state emblem is the black swan, which worked out well for this old yorkytyke!

Can anybody remember Pippeys shop on a side road just off the moor. Think it was the bottom of the road where Coles is. Lots of hippyish things like ethnic clothing, joss sticks, Anne Summers type equipment ( if you get my drift), 'smoking equipment' etc.

It all sounds so run of the mill these days but it was very far out at the time.

I bought my first 'Afgan' coat at Pippy's in 1973. Cost me 19 quid! no buttons and smelly as hell....

A few memories of growing up in Sheffield in the seventies:-

Large tubs of ice cream from Graingers off-licence in Ranmoor. They had a huge chest freezer in the back room that contained some of the most incredible tasting ice creams ever;

'Use Water Sparingly' signs placed above the wash basins in the toilets at Nethergreen First School. This was due to the draught in 1976;

The oil liner Amoco Cadiz sunk in 1978 and the spillage was so huge its effects were felt in the water supplies of England. Large 'booms' so soak up oil and prevent it getting any further were placed in the rivers of Endcliffe Park in that year;

Swimming at the open air swimming pool beside the Rising Sun pub on the Castleton Road (between Hathersage and Hope) in the summer of, probably 1976. (Don't confuse this pool with the one still open at Hathersage);

Going to see the Sheffield Parkway prior to its opening. We looked down onto the new carriageway from Cricket Inn Road and it was quite impressive;

Silver Jubilee buses painted in silver, going past Nethergreen Middle School in September 1977. I was in one of the prefab classrooms overlooking the field and Fulwood Road. I managed to buy a silver jubilee bus whilst in London, albeit a Matchbox one!

The Moor closed to traffic and huge plant containers placed ad hoc down the road. It was a few years before it was paved leaving road marks in situ and zebra crossings still visible;

And finally, the magnificent Christmas decorations on the 1970s, something which had to be seen to be believed, along with the dancing fountains in Peace Gardens and Santa's Grotto at Moorfoot. Also, carol singing by candle light in Paradise Square.

I could go on and may well return with more memories later.

• 1 year later...

Archived