Sheffield in the 70s

Michael_W

• 2 weeks later...

The Black swan and underneath was the Merry England club.

Hardley any cars in town as bus fares where so cheap.

Hole in the rd.

Getting in to see "Free" at the city hall, through the mens loo window.

Millhouses lido in summer.

The huge fire at Arnold Lavers on Queens rd, (that could have been late 60s).

Going to see "Bobby Crush" :hihi:( I like piano music) at the Fiesta.

Walking home on a summers night from Baileys with my brothers and sisters after having spent only £5 for the whole night.

Leaving school at easter in 71.

My first job at Davys on Fargate.

I think they were happy days because we had no stress or responsibilitys. That comes later with marriage, home and kids.

I bought my first 'Afgan' coat at Pippy's in 1973. Cost me 19 quid! no buttons and smelly as hell....

used to buy my patchouly oil there,hippy juice as my younger brother called it,buying my first pair of BRUTUS flares from Tramps,then a big name in denim,wonder what happened to them??One of my favourite places was the record shop on the gallery,revolution i think it was,getting back orders of bowie singles i had been too young to originally buy,who could forget the record counter at the CO-OP on Angel Street,i used to rob my mothers full stamp books to change for records.

• 5 months later...

The 70s were mixed in Sheffield...it was the begining of the end. Steelworks were closing down, the pits were losing shedloads of cash, the binmen were on strike (in fact everyone was on strike), power cuts and winters of discontent fueled punk rock...but without all of that we would be poorer today.

It was my father that made the film City On The Move at the start of the Full Monty...it was made because Sheffield was in true decline....it hasn't improved at all, I was a student at the time.

The face lift going on around town masks the poverty of a once great city...there is no manufacturing industry, no service industry and no intrinsic value in the rebuild. More student flats that will never sell again and no jobs to keep the best of them here...

The 70s were just like today...no real jobs and too much red tape to start your own business...its very sad.

But at least we got some great music then as we do today.

• 5 months later...
Just a few characters people 60+ may remember: Long Sammy, Duke of Darnall, Russian Edna, Big Ada and Mary Mary who walked from town to Crookes in the gutter, irrespective of traffic? Then there was the blind man who sold lavender on the Moor by the Union St. arcade.

hi i look after a couple in their 90s and they have been telling me about long sammy they said he was knock kneed and used to walk up and down the moor advertising .They also told me about the duke of darnell getting dressed up every day with his spats on and walking aroung town looking at all the women what a laugh iv had listening to all these stories im glad someone else can remember them ill tell them .

If anyone is interested I've put a story about two lads trying to get along in 1970s Sheffield on my website ( http://www.birkett.yolasite.com ) - Free to read - and I would welcome any comments. I think my research is sound - I was around at the time and spent many a happy hour in the pub mentioned, though I have changed a few details! Its called 'First Job.'

Also, talking of the Black Swan, I saw many an up and coming group there. One, 'Vinegar Joe', had Elkie Brooks as lead singer and Robert Palmer.

I too was a teenager in the 70's. I can remember Crazy Dazy (where all the smoothies went) and the Penthouse. A bus ride into town was 9p after which we would all meet up at the 'threepenny-bit' (so shaped) kiosk in Pond Street. We would then head off to the Nelson and the Wapentake. I also remember the Museum pub (knocked down when they built Tudor Square). Seeing the posting about studio 5,6 & 7 made me chuckle as that was the place where the rude films were shown and we would walk back and forth past here to see if we could see any saucy posters. I can also remember queing for hours for a taxi in Fitzalan Sq at 2.30am ...never any bother and never feeling scared or threatened. Those were the days!

i too visited crazy daisy genieve can you remember that one

Millhouse Lido

Hole in the road

The fish in the hole in the road

Studio 5,6,7

The Indian in Fitzalan Sq 9 Cant remember the name

The Marples Pub

Redgates Toy Shop

Wigfalls

Buses running down the Moor

The M1 with hardly any cars on it

Sandblasting of all old stone buildings to clean up the blackened stone