Sheffield in the 70s

Michael_W

I remember the Buccaneer very well! Brilliant for the music and wall to wall totty, but not so good for the warm beer in plastic glasses. It was the place to be seen, even tho it was pitch black inside...

Then there was the slow stagger down to the Wimpy Bar on Fargate with the customary traffic cone on the head...Happy memories!:bday:

can you remember the golden egg on fargate

Hey, we must have been in the same places at the same time. I frequented all these pubs. Blue Bell was a bit dodgy. I only used it as a cut through to get to the Dove and Rainbow. I loved the Stone House when the courtyard was a great hangout. I used to stare at the roof and I really think we were outside under the stars. Pig and Whistle was okay but a bit of a meat market.

did anyone know that the courtyard in the stonehouse had a sign up saying pig and whistle

Any one remember the cinemas at lane top and forum herries road essoldo and capitol i believe tesco stores now occupies the site where the essoldo stood any one remember jimmy saville opening the tesco.

i went to see stardust there with david essex in it

Any one remember bishopshome near busk meadows people said it was haunted because a murder had been comitted there. Also who remembers longley swimming pool used to go midnight swimming there in that great summer of 76.

loved the pool was there during the day and spent few hours there after the pub closed

used to buy my patchouly oil there,hippy juice as my younger brother called it,buying my first pair of BRUTUS flares from Tramps,then a big name in denim,wonder what happened to them??One of my favourite places was the record shop on the gallery,revolution i think it was,getting back orders of bowie singles i had been too young to originally buy,who could forget the record counter at the CO-OP on Angel Street,i used to rob my mothers full stamp books to change for records.

yes the green shield stamp books

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...

Hi, Mikey, I am from Germany and have spent hours with research about the black swan and the performers they had in the 70ies. Can you support me? I need descriptions and pictures of Glen Turner, who was born in sheffield at 1953. He has been a quite well known guitar player and singer in the late 60ies and early 70ies and certainly still is. He went to London and became a part of the musicians that performed the legendary rock opery Tommy. Glen is now preparing a solo concert with the headline "my life - my music" and I was asked to give him a stage background. Unfortunately the early days in sheffield give me a headache because Glen has no material in his private archieve. If there is any support from this forum I will express many thanks in advance.

• 2 months later...
Anyone remember Sheffield in the 70s, Yorkshire cricket at Bramall Lane, United in the First Division & Wednesday in the Third, buses on the Moor, Turnups nightclub at Nether Edge, The Fiesta, Top Rank, Steelworks in the East End, Cutlery and engineering firms ???????????
I definitly remember Sheffield in 70s it was fab ! I used to go to Turnups and Fiesta.

Archived