Sheffield in the 70s

Michael_W

I was in the last year of junior school and at Longley school at the time. It would have been 1970/71. Jimmy Saville came to the school and went round all the classes to sign autographs for everyone. Used to go to the cinema when it was there too.

Originally posted by Chris M

Ah yes - The Buccaneer - Loved it because it was non stop

music without having to put money in a juke box .

Do you remember when it first opened there were plastic

parrots and desert island type decor all over the place - but

as time went by we finished up with bare walls and

plastic glasses - and how on earth did I drink that "Brew Ten"

the worst beer of the seventies !!

Great memories.

Never went in the Buc', but my uncle had the great big wall/pirate map from there when it closed, had it on their wall for years,Don't know if he bought it or was given it, Used to live in there, just about.

Originally posted by MARTINO 1

Any one remember bishopshome near busk meadows people said it was haunted because a murder had been comitted there. Also who remembers longley swimming pool used to go midnight swimming there in that great summer of 76.

Oohh I remember getting burnt to a crisp in 1976. Mum had never heard of suntan lotion. We just used Nivea cream and fried ourselves.

• 1 month later...
Originally posted by regblind

The Lacarno was one of the best pulling joints in my day. A few pints round london rd then in to the night club. Great days

I remember the Locarno back in the 70's, but always thought it was called Tiffany's. When exactly did it change its name?? Slogged it round the pubs of London Road many a time - the Hermitage, Barrel Inn, Tramways, the Pheasant, the Old Crown, the Albion, Cremorne Hotel. Not a bad pub crawl actually. Does anyone remember the Cross Guns in Sharrow Lane? What a cack-hole, eh?

Originally posted by Michael_W

Anyone remember Sheffield in the 70s, Yorkshire cricket at Bramall Lane, United in the First Division & Wednesday in the Third, buses on the Moor, Turnups nightclub at Nether Edge, The Fiesta, Top Rank, Steelworks in the East End, Cutlery and engineering firms ???????????

What about the Claymore in Arundel Gate. Does anyone remember that? And why was the Norfolk Arms in Suffolk Street called 'The Dodgers'? I used to work in the Midland Station and used the Norfolk Arms regularly. Everyone called it 'The Dodgers' even though it said Norfolk Arms on the pub. Yes, I do remember United in the First Division & Wednesday in the 3rd. Saw Tony Curry with wife and sprogs in Woolworths in Haymarket once. Woolworths, eh? Wages couldn't have been up to much in those days!

8) Nah Den Ace......

Originally posted by Houdi

And why was the Norfolk Arms in Suffolk Street called 'The Dodgers'? I used to work in the Midland Station and used the Norfolk Arms regularly. Everyone called it 'The Dodgers' even though it said Norfolk Arms on the pub.

Because a lot of the bus drivers, form the nearby Leadmill garages, used to go drinking in there whilst "dodging" their shift!

Regards,

Spacehopper.

Houdi wrote:

Slogged it round the pubs of London Road many a time - the Hermitage, Barrel Inn, Tramways, the Pheasant, the Old Crown, the Albion, Cremorne Hotel. Not a bad pub crawl actually. Does anyone remember the Cross Guns in Sharrow Lane? What a cack-hole, eh?

I used to go in the Cross Guns when I lived on South View Road, early 80s, yeah it was always a cack-hole !

By the way Houdi you forgot to mention the Lansdowne :thumbsup:

Archived