Sheffield in the 70s

Michael_W

To my eternal shame, the Indus is the only restaurant I have ever "done a runner" from, only then as part of a group of guys.

It has been on my conscience for the last thirty years!

So it was for me.

A mate of mine (chops) fell asleep in the bog and hadn't enough cash to settle the bill

• 2 weeks later...

what about Alpines, they delivered pop right to the door. I don't know if they are still going. We used to go mental for the dandelion and burdock. doesn't taste the same now though. Also who remembers the Rex cinema at the bottom of Mansfield & Hollinsend road.

I adored Sheffield in the 70s and would love to revisit it, go back in time, if that was possible.

I would spend the day going round all the clothes shops I used to visit, Jean Genie, Chelsea Girl, Pippy's, then have a brief pub crawl starting at the Wap and finishing at the Albert, then into the City Hall to see a decent gig. The bit I wouldnt want to do is pelt down to pond street at 10.30 to catch my last bus!

What about the Pump Tavern off the back of the Moor.

It did great meat and potatoe pie and cumberland sausage and you could allways help yourself from a bowl full of onions and cucumber in vinigar!

i had my wedding reception in there lol

I've really enjoyed reading all the above and taking a trip down Memory Lane. I remember almost all of the places mentioned but also remember 'The Broadway' (underneath Timpsons the shoe shop on High St). Sometimes when I'm walking around Sheffield I get a flashback of the past. Quite a few times when I'm walking down High Street I expect to see 'The hole in the Road' and when I'm walking down the Moor I remember the underground passage leading from Pinstone Street to The Moor. (Funny how the old brain works!!!) I wondered if this happened to anyone else?

Some interesting points, as a kid I remember Redgates and the fish in the tank in the hole-in-the road.

The water was often that green you couldn’t see them, but still had to have a look, and who can forget the 2p bus fare, I was gutted when I had to pay full fare, 12p.

I remember when the Newcastle supporters smashed the glass of the tank,

water all over the place but the fish some how survived.

I adored Sheffield in the 70s and would love to revisit it, go back in time, if that was possible.

I would spend the day going round all the clothes shops I used to visit, Jean Genie, Chelsea Girl, Pippy's, then have a brief pub crawl starting at the Wap and finishing at the Albert, then into the City Hall to see a decent gig. The bit I wouldnt want to do is pelt down to pond street at 10.30 to catch my last bus!

Dont forget Sexy Rexy

Archived