I Love Sushi! Where Can I Eat In Sheffield?

sweetbabykid

what's your secret? I;ve attempted making maki a few times but it just never turns out right..... I buy all the correct ingredients, and rice etc.... :-(

Which part of the process are you struggling with? The most crucial (and ironically, most tricky) parts are getting the consistency of the sumeshi (vinegared rice) spot on and also making sure you spread it in just such a way over the nori sheets so that you can roll it tightly into maki. Are you using a bamboo rolling mat for this? If not, I heartily recommend it!

Sheffield definitely needs more sushi bars in the centre. Wasabisabi is good but a bit out of the way and a bit pricey. In Australia and Canada it seems like there's a sushi bar on every street corner so you can just pop in for sushi like you'd buy a sandwich over here.

Making sushi is pretty easy once you get the hang of it; a very sharp knife and a good fishmonger are probably the most important things.

Boutiquechoc- how's your sushi going wrong? I might be able to help

I have got all the ingredients, rice vinager etc....and the bamboo rolling mat etc.....followed instructions very carefully with the rice but it went slightly stodgy and wouldn't roll very well. I ended up with embarrassing sausage looking rolls of hell.....

Are there any tricks or tips to get the rice perfect?

Did you wash the rice? You need to wash it several times until the water runs clear to get all the starch off. You also need to drain it in a sieve after you've washed it for an hour before you cook it. I then put it a pan with an equal amount of water, bring it to the boil, stick a tight fitting lid on and let it simmer for 10 mins. That works for 10 fl oz of rice which is easily enough for two people.

When you come to the rolling and shaping have a bowl of acidulated hot water (water with a few splashes of vinegar) to hand. Use it to wash the starch of your hands then shake the excess off before you start the next roll.

Hope this helps.

Did you wash the rice? You need to wash it several times until the water runs clear to get all the starch off. You also need to drain it in a sieve after you've washed it for an hour before you cook it. I then put it a pan with an equal amount of water, bring it to the boil, stick a tight fitting lid on and let it simmer for 10 mins. That works for 10 fl oz of rice which is easily enough for two people.

When you come to the rolling and shaping have a bowl of acidulated hot water (water with a few splashes of vinegar) to hand. Use it to wash the starch of your hands then shake the excess off before you start the next roll.

Hope this helps.

Many thanks, think you may have solved the prob!

• 1 month later...

Archived