Are all people who wear hoodies bad?

I get so annoyed with people who say things like 'There were a lot of young people and I had to cross the road to avoid them.'

When will people realise that not everyone who wears a hoodie is out to kill or maim? I myself wear hoodies on a regular basis, albeit without the hood up (unless it's raining) and I would never dream of hurting anyone or breaking the law.

I wonder why people instantly assume young people are doing something wrong if they are in a group of more than 2? Are you someone who crosses the road to avoid younger people?

I would assert that there is more fear of young people than there necessary, more fear of crime than actual crime and more good hearted hard working young people out there than society as a whole is willing to recognise.

Its tragic.

I saw a hoodie when I was out with dog this morning. His hood was up and he was bashing the foliage in the wood with a 2' metal pole.

He looked right 'ard - except for the little 3 or 4 year old holding his other hand! :hihi:

Yoofs in hoodies can look dodgy - but I doubt I'd ever cross the road to avoid them. A group of obvious drunks is another matter - with or without hoodies!!

If I come across them when I'm out walking dog, I just smile and say hello - same as I do with everybody else. If they're not plugged into iPods or whatever, they usually say hello back.

i used to wear em (warmer for hanging around the centre of town all day / everyday :) ), still do occasionly, all 3 of my coats have hoods.

having said that

i know for a fact that kids in the southbank / grangetown areas of middlesbrough started wearing caps / hoods to not get caught doing things dodgy...the missus and her mum were youth workers there, they even used to swap caps so theyd be less identifiable

I don't think all hoodies are bad but.... if the people wearing the garment have such a frightening reputation why would they want to wear it, if not for the intimidation factor.

You put a hood up if it's cold, not on top of another hat to disguise your face.

Archived