Are all people who wear hoodies bad?

Whatever someone is wearing, if you see someone who you personally feel uncomfortable walking near on the street then you avoid them, that's just human nature, self-preservation, whatever. So if I decide to avoid a 'hoodie' on the street then that's my business, frankly ;)

However, if people were occasionally pleasant with 'yoofs' they may get a surprise. I always for example hold a door open for anyone following me into a shop - do this with young 'hoodies' and they're often really shocked at you being polite and friendly and you get an "Oooh, fank you!" and a smile. I also find more 'yoofs' are polite about not barging in through doors, unlike office workers who are ruddy ignorant at times. This doesn't include girls though, who seem to be the most rudely mannered of all! :(

indeed i do this too...even to teh dreaded h00dies

I always think show people a bit of respect and they'll probably give it back to you, no matter who they are. One or two 'hoodies' are just the same as anyone, it's when you get gangs that you get trouble, but then that's the same when you get gangs of middle aged blokes out on a workplace booze up or women on a rowdy hen night causing havoc. You even get rowdy gangs of pensioners - there's a group of old boys get on my bus aled up the ginnels, flinging their walking sticks everywhere and chatting up women (they're hilarious actually) ;)

I wear a hoodie every now and then and I love it.

Although thanks to a minority of society I can no longer wear it on a night out. Nor can I wear my hat or even my favourite shoes.

Thank you to the old and young thugs of this world that have created this stereotype and wrecked it for the rest of us who are not out there to cause trouble!

P***ks!

aye and if you show em respect by opening a door for em, they might think twice about robbing YOU afterwards

errrrrrrrrrrrrm

They might and they might not, but it costs nowt to be polite on the street, and I always remember someone who was ill mannered with me, so i try not to do it to anyone!

I always think show people a bit of respect and they'll probably give it back to you, no matter who they are.

Absolutely :). Twould solve so many societal problems if people took this little nugget of wisdom on board ... but that'd involve some people admitting that they're not the paragons of virtue that they assume themselves to be...

It seems that some young people put their hoods up when up to no good.

I recently saw this actually happen. They looked around and put up their hoods and tied the cords around their faces deliberately so as not to be recognised when stealing a mootor bike.

Didn't have them on before

hazel

I always think show people a bit of respect and they'll probably give it back to you, no matter who they are. One or two 'hoodies' are just the same as anyone, it's when you get gangs that you get trouble, but then that's the same when you get gangs of middle aged blokes out on a workplace booze up or women on a rowdy hen night causing havoc. You even get rowdy gangs of pensioners - there's a group of old boys get on my bus aled up the ginnels, flinging their walking sticks everywhere and chatting up women (they're hilarious actually) ;)

Wise words, Mathom - of course there are occasions when this approach doesn't work, but my experience is that by and large if you're pleasant and respectful to others they return the same.

Archived