Sports Mopeds Of The 70's

Me and my mate are reading this thread and we both had sports mopeds, AP50 and FS1E..and we've still got bikes now ! In fact tomorrow we're going to fetch a 50 for one of our lads who will be 16 soon ! God I feel old !

• 3 years later...
I remember a 'Lewis Leathers' at the bottom of the Moor, It was opposite a pet shop (Mace's?) across the road from the Salvation Army hostel, we used to go there for new visors and to look at the leathers we could'nt afford!

I still have my " Barry Sheene Racing Gloves " as they were advertised in the mag's and mcn. purchased from L.L down the moor in 1976 ish.

I remember being able to park your machine almost outside , a few 2nd generation "mods" used to park their lambo' " puff chariots " as we called them. outside virgin records nearby , truth being some of their chariots could give us a run for the money up to 60mph.

Blue / White leather and apart from a slight patina of age/dirt , absolutely flawless . without digging them out I think they were actually made by avia? only gloves I never sanded down via terra firma.

Chucked my L.L jacket in't bin long since , sob. I had gained a few ounces though.....,

No offence intended to the old " puff chariot mob " when we all bothered to stop posturing and posing , we got on quite well ( mutual love of motorisation)

but we rarely admitted it then. I often find myself admiring restored lambo's and the like . good times.

* Apologies, I think my post is in the wrong section ? it's simply fond memories of Lewis Leathers etc.

Happily , We were the generation that were able to ride any 250cc. with no skid lid req'd age 16 yrs. pre - do gooder or political interference.

As most are well aware. The rise in performance in some of the Jap 250's - 100 m.p.h etc. frightened some politicians to death , and played into the hands of the do - gooders who then legislated against them . Booyah !

Sensational press reports ( which were often wide of the mark ) didn't help matters . we seem to have come full circle ? and the motorcycle press continues to shoot itself in the foot.

So, you guys and gals got bikes that , by comparison - had worse performance, handling , brakes , lights + tyres . Since a throttle works both ways on any machine - would some legislator please tell me how that was safer :confused:

" there are lies , damn lies , and statistics ! " Mark Twain.

I ordered a FS1E from smiths just up from the wicker arches as my mates had them, got fed up off waiting for them to be shipped in and went for a

Honda SS50 instead not as quick on acceleration as the FS1E with being

4 stroke to the FS1E being 2 stroke, but Hey great days, having that sense of freedom to go wherever you wanted to. must have been about

fifteen of us going round districts s13, 12, and so on. remember a few had different mopeds to the SS50 & FS1E. Puch, motorbecane, and Honda pc 50. we were like a mini hells angel gang lol. but yes great memories.

Another FS1E here lol Puch/NSU/Casal/Malaguti/Gilera/Honda/Mobeylete/ loads others cant remember most of them.Remembr a 50cc chopper cant think what that was maybe a Gilera.Must admit never put them on road though just sold them on.Past test on CB125 Then onto bigger stuff.

Archived