Favourite Sheffield History Books

Somebody mailed me a copy of 'A Pub on Every Corner' many years ago. To my mind it's the only Sheffield history book worth having, a brilliant piece of work, you can trace out your own pub crawls.

This book is useful, especially used in conjunction with Michael Liversidge's Sheffield Public Houses, but it has two drawbacks. First, there are lots of errors in the maps. Second, there is no index, particularly to the streets on the maps - I made my own some time ago.

Hugh

My favourite book is the one with the longest ever title :-

"Recollections and reminiscences of the Dixon Family and other families in connection with them, with a brief sketch of some of the nobility, Gentry, Merchants and Tradesmen Sculptures, Poets Historians and Mechanics, Philanthropists and eccentric characters with an account of the rise and progress of some of the principal trades in the town of Sheffield and the Neighbourhood with a glossary of words and some old sayings and Maxims. A list of country feasts Wakes and statutes with an account of the customs prevalent at holidays and public occasions by Charles Dixon

1847. "

It is in the Sheffield Archives, and I transcribed it some time ago. A lovely book :)

For anyone interested in the Hillsborough area, Eric Leslie's beautifully illustrated "Oatcakes, Pikelets and Sarsparilla" and "Trams, Tiddlers and Tizer" are excellent in their description of life in a Sheffield suburb as seen by a boy growing up in the 1940s and 1950s. Otherwise, any of the recently-published books on Sheffield's history are highly recommended. For a photographic record of relatively recent times, John Wrigley's books "A .... Camera" (Walkley, Hillsborough etc.) are very good. More scholarly historical works have been written by such capable authors as Mary Walton and, more recently, David Hey. For notable Sheffield people of 100 years ago, I have the "Sheffield & District Who's Who" for 1905. It has photos and brief biographies of the local gentry, and a glimpse of Edwardian values is given by just by seeing "Who" is in and "Who" isn't. Hunter's large-format, monumental work "Hallamshire" (later editions extended by Rev. Alfred Gatty) is a detailed work, strong in genealogy.

My old friend the late S. Roy Davey wrote some excellent historical books, published on a shoestring budget and rich in detail. A unique book of his is "Crossin' O'er", about Sheffield's bridges. Without this I wouldn't have known much about some notable bridges, and would never have heard of some that have disappeared, such as Portmahon Bridge (it crosses a stream than now goes underground in a pipe).

A visit to the Local Studies Library can often bring surprises, at least in regard to the sheer volume of books on the history of our city.

My favourite book is the one with the longest ever title :-

"Recollections and reminiscences of the Dixon Family and other families in connection with them, with a brief sketch of some of the nobility, Gentry, Merchants and Tradesmen Sculptures, Poets Historians and Mechanics, Philanthropists and eccentric characters with an account of the rise and progress of some of the principal trades in the town of Sheffield and the Neighbourhood with a glossary of words and some old sayings and Maxims. A list of country feasts Wakes and statutes with an account of the customs prevalent at holidays and public occasions by Charles Dixon

1847. "

It is in the Sheffield Archives, and I transcribed it some time ago. A lovely book :)

Fantastic!

My own favourites are probably Pollard's History of Labour in Sheffield, which is an absolute classic (and the first) of its type.

Very different is Survivors of Steel City, by Geoffrey Beattie (Big Brother psychologist), a great pack of pen portraits which give a real insight into what it was like to live here in the '80s. http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0701130318/sheffnet-21

There are many more too - list to follow!

A selection of books I frequently refer to -

Illustrated Guide to Sheffield and Neighbourhood [1864] - Pawson & Brailsford

[facsimile edition, Amethyst Press 1985 (paperback edition)]

From Bailey to Bailey: A Short History of Military Buildings in Sheffield by Stephen Johnson 1998 (Stephen Johnson is always bringing out interesting pamphlets)

Aspect of Sheffield 1 & 2

Wharncliffe Publishing. Edited by Melvyn Jones. Interesting articles on various historical subjects.

The Lost Theatres of Sheffield

Bryan D Hillerby

Crookes: The History of a Sheffield Village (Out of Print)

&

Crookes Revisited

Mesters to Masters: A History of the Company of Cutlers in Hallamshire

eds Clyde Binfield & David Hey

Archives Photo Series - Central Sheffield

compiled by Martin Olive

Sheffield City Battalion

(2006 Reprint)

not books, but I use them so much they tend to fall apart:

Alan Godfrey's reprints of old OS maps, mostly c1900-05

(available in the Local Studies Library and Sheffield Scene)

Hugh

I think Hey's contributions do stand out, although, I feel there is a lack of a cheap, accessible pocket guide to the city's history, particularly the city centre - this is something there were talks about initiating a couple of years ago but we didn't get it going (might do in hte future though).

Other books and pamphlets include Moore's work and indeed anything by the Holberry Society and the people around it. On a similar theme, work by and about figures in the city's labour movement are of national significance, including by J. T. Murphy, Connole and others. Pollard's work on the outrages too.

There are also a whole range fo academic texts which are worth searching out, including the plethora of MA dissertations and PhD theses at Surrey St.

The centenary set of three volumes is also a, very expensive to own, must.

Archived