South Street, Park?

spook

Ive got a fairly old map which shows it starting,roughly where the big roundabout is at the end of Parkway and then running approximately parallel with Granville Street and finishing at the top of Shrewsbury Road.

It's a sort of service road now for Park Hill flats.

Pre--1960, it was full of terraced houses and near the bottom was a little cafe that sold really great bacon sandwiches...etc.....plus there were quite a few pubs near the bottom like the New Inn and 2 or3 others ....can't remember their names.

Maybe up--to--date maps don't even show it but that's where it was or is.

Also ,have a look at the old maps in the History room at the central Library.

South St was slum cleared around 67/68. there was long rows of houses.They faced Park Hill Flats ( front of the houses), the backs of them overlooked Midland Station.It ran almost from the top of Shrewsbury Road down to nearly the bottom,just before the old Park Picture Palace.

Clumber... Alex and Tatto are correct in what they say.

Granville Street is the name of the old street where the tram runs, between the railway station and park hill flats, it runs level all the way from the college , along the back of the rail station, almost to the park square roundabout. It's a dead-end road now, but, like south street it used to come out near the bottom of duke street .

South street is the steep narrow street that runs up the hill, above the tram track, parallell with the PH Flats complex.

It joins talbot street/ shewsbury road at the top of the hill, near where the three high-rise were, that have just been demolished.

PT

I am sure the Central Library in town will have all the old street maps.If not the Town Hall should have all the old records, you might actually be able to find out the exact address you need from them,as all the tennents would most likley have been rehoused in council propery and would have signed to release the old proerty and to take up new.Good luck with your search.

Your query brought back a memory long forgotten by me.South St. and its houses were still occupied when we moved to Park Hill and i was a young child.When my yuounger sister started school she made a new little friend, who was as black as midnight, i even remember her name it was Angela.Alot of the neighbours were horrified by the fact that my parents used to let my sister go to her house to play and have tea,and also by the fact that Angela used to come to our and play and have tea. I remember my mum & dad going out with her parents for a drink Angela lived in the old houses on South St. and when they were demolished an Angela moved we lost touch.I can remember her smile even now it was lovley.People wouldnt be bothered about it now but back then there wernt many cloured people around so it caused a bit of a stir.

• 11 months later...

I knew South Street very well. When I was a young kid, we lived on Talbot Place which is not that far away. There used to be a picture house, the Park Cinema I think, near the bottom of South st. It was a real dive. They used to say it was infested with rats. But we still went anyway. Our other cinema was the old Norfolk Picture House on Duke St. Now, that place had real character. The balcony, known as the gods, was about 3 feet higher than the rest of the interior and separated from it by a black curtain. Teenagers would sit in there and throw things at the people below. those were the days, my friend.

• 1 year later...

South Street was also where the original Violet Maes record shop was,Gunstones the bakers now at Dronfield I knew the area well having had all the lead of the buildings when they were getting demolished we used to sell the lead to the scrap yard and sneak it back out the back door and sold it back again in our little band were myself,A GRAY,D WRIGHT,S POINTER W KING we had quite a few quid out of the game at the time.Another scam we had was to nick the reels of film from the Park Picture Pallis when it was delivered, we got them through the metal gates by using our jumpers as a lasso and would FIND them to get a reward free entry to the flicks and a half empty bag of crisp my biggest triumph was the film ZULU I was on my own so got a full bag of crisp.The other scam was one of us paid then let the others in by pushing up the locking bar on the exit I remember watching dont laugh here KID GALLAHAD WITH ELVIS.good days never a care we must have been like the little rascals angels with dirty faces

I knew South Street very well. When I was a young kid, we lived on Talbot Place which is not that far away. There used to be a picture house, the Park Cinema I think, near the bottom of South st. It was a real dive. They used to say it was infested with rats. But we still went anyway. Our other cinema was the old Norfolk Picture House on Duke St. Now, that place had real character. The balcony, known as the gods, was about 3 feet higher than the rest of the interior and separated from it by a black curtain. Teenagers would sit in there and throw things at the people below. those were the days, my friend.

Hi,

We lived off the Wicker and our doctor's (Wilson and Creean) surgery was No.2 Norfolk Road. Therefore if we had to see the doctor, we had this long trek up and down South Street. South Street started at Broad Street (where Park Square is now)and ran up to where Shrewsbury Road United Methodist Church used to be.

The church never seemed to open again after the Blitz and eventually became a tyre fitting place. Then the building was demolished but they left the base for a while as a sort of look-out platform. The view of the city from there was pretty good.

Part way up South Street on the right was St Luke's Church (anglican) but most Old Park people (before, say, 1955 and the revelopment) knew it as Sale Memorial. It was a bombed-out ruin in my childhood and eventually demolished when Park Hill flats were built. The church was the topic of another thread last year.

Near the bottom of the Street - between The Park Picture Palace and where Violet Mae eventually opened her shop - was George Owen's Chemists. This was famous - more like a landmark - in the Old Park. Chemists in the those days made most of the medicines and potions on the spot. They also mixed and sold paint and varnish. As you went in the front door, the paint counter was on the left and the chemists on the right. Sometimes the people who worked there seemed to do both jobs. It was wonderful old business:all mahogany counters and fixtures plus a skylight. A pitty the inside couldn't have been saved and reassembled in a museum somewhere.

Regards

Archived