South Street, Park?

spook

Living on Duke Street, remember South St very well.

Violet Maes, Park Picture House and there used to be a chip shop half way down.

Where abouts on talbot Place you used to live rogG?

Used to knock about with Andre Bielowsky (? spelling) at one time, they had an upholstery business near the alms houses entrance.

DukeStreet, My Dad s sister and Father used to live at the bottom of Duke St. I also remember going to My Grandads end terrace house up a hill past <I think it was> St John s? Church in the 1940/50s Another aunt lived nearby. My dad was 1 of 8 kids so we lost touch with his side of the family when Dad died.Also my Mum was 1 of 5. There must be hundreds of my relatives in or from Sheffield!

PhilipB, I used to live at 3 Talbot Place right by the alms houses entrance. My parents lived with my grandparents, the Bonsalls, just after the war. We moved from there to live on the stradbroke estate ca. 1950. I continued to visit my grandparents until the late 60s when I moved to Canada. I remember the Bielowskys. They lived at no. 7, I believe and I think the family before them were called the Clarkes. Cheers.

Living on Duke Street, remember South St very well.

Violet Maes, Park Picture House and there used to be a chip shop half way down.

Where abouts on talbot Place you used to live rogG?

Used to knock about with Andre Bielowsky (? spelling) at one time, they had an upholstery business near the alms houses entrance.

Can anyone help me with this location and where it is? I'm researching my family history and some relatives used to live there but I'm struggling to locate it.

Am I being stoopid? :suspect:

South Street,Park. So called, as before the Parkhill flats were built, the area was called 'The Park District'.

Some of the road names on the park district are the names of the landings on the Parkhill flats i.e Norwich row, Long henry row etc. etc.

ENGLANDER

Wasn't Violet May's original shop on City Road somewhere near the current Barracuda Chip shop.

If my memory is right she moved to South Street or have I got it the wrong way round.

Back in 1957 I used to buy jazz records from her in the shop on City Road.

Happy Days!

Archived