Adult Braces- Costs and Experiences

Hi

I was just wondering if anybody on here has experience with having a brace (for teeth!) fitted as an adult. I have needed a brace for a number of years but for some reason have never got round to investigating this properly. I don't think I will be able to get it on the NHS, so what does it really cost? I saw that they did invisible braces but by the looks of things this will be very very costly! Also, do you have to be referred by your dentist or can you just book a private consultation with an orthodentist?

Any relevant information would be appreciated!

Nat

Hi

I was just wondering if anybody on here has experience with having a brace (for teeth!) fitted as an adult. I have needed a brace for a number of years but for some reason have never got round to investigating this properly. I don't think I will be able to get it on the NHS, so what does it really cost? I saw that they did invisible braces but by the looks of things this will be very very costly! Also, do you have to be referred by your dentist or can you just book a private consultation with an orthodentist?

Any relevant information would be appreciated!

Nat

Most people get referred by their dentist, and if you trust yours, then he/she ought to point you in the right direction. I've been told that you can have this done in your 40s. However, the system is private and therefore potentially corrupt, so watch out for your dentist's referral fee - you might discover a lower price for self-referral! It depends on what you need doing, but typically it costs £2.5k plus. The NHS is supposed to be free at the point of delivery (whatever that means), but if you are a tax-payer, and therefore by definition are paying for other people's dentistry, you will be expected to pay for yours as well! This is of course hideously immoral and very upsetting.

Personally, I cannot afford orthodontic work because I have a family to feed. If I wasn't working I would get it for free! I feel sick every time I think about this!

Personally, I cannot afford orthodontic work because I have a family to feed. If I wasn't working I would get it for free! I feel sick every time I think about this!

Orthodontic work is strictly rationed on the NHS for under 16s and isn't available for any adults, benefits or not so don't feel too hard done by.

Nat, for upper and lower fixed braces (train tracks) you're looking at a cost starting at £3.5k-£4k. It isn't cheap!

Orthodontic work is strictly rationed on the NHS for under 16s and isn't available for any adults, benefits or not so don't feel too hard done by.

Nat, for upper and lower fixed braces (train tracks) you're looking at a cost starting at £3.5k-£4k. It isn't cheap!

NHS doesn't cover orthodontic work if it's purely cosmetic, but I'm sure they cover cases where it's medically necessary - and that can be a moot point.

I was quoted £4000 ten years ago (!) for othodontic treatment with a private orthodontist in the UK. I didn't go ahead but have now just started treatment in Germany - where the greater part of the cost (in my case including surgery) is covered by the health system because it has proved to be medically necessary.

However you proceed, I would strongly recommend getting more than one orthodontist's opinion. Some, for instance, are more trigger happy than necessary when it comes to pulling teeth.

P.S. Forgot to say: Google for the "Metal Mouth" message board: it's an international forum covering all things orthodontic, and there are quite a few UK patients on there, both NHS and private. The site is almost overwhelmingly informative!

• 2 weeks later...

My dentist says that this is not correct. Orthodontic work is available for adults on the NHS (in theory) if there is a 'clinical need', i.e. if the requirement is not cosmetic. However, as a taxpayer, I cannot get it, i.e. it is effectively means tested. :gag:

My dentist says that this is not correct. Orthodontic work is available for adults on the NHS (in theory) if there is a 'clinical need', i.e. if the requirement is not cosmetic. However, as a taxpayer, I cannot get it, i.e. it is effectively means tested. :gag:

Hmm depends if you can find an orthodontist willing to do it. I can honestly say that out of 5 orthodontic surgeries I know, not one will treat adults on the NHS. Supposedly those under 18 only get it on the basis of 'clinical need' as well - but in reality 'wonky teeth' are assessed as clinical need because of the increased probability of cavities, and you certainly won't find adults being offered braces for this. However, it can be provided via hospitals in cases where teeth or the jaw are damaged in accidents etc.

• 3 years later...

Hi there just been reading all your posts about braces on adults. I myself am a mother of four who works full time and has just had fixed braces fitted for free on the NHS and my local orthodontic hospital! Oh and Im not on any benefits x

Archived