Sharrowvale Parking Scheme - new thread

May be something to do with the fact that businesses are there to make a profit, the residents just happen to live there. Or, you could consider that most of the permit schemes are there to discourage commuters, some of whom work at these businesses. Price is a significant factor in people's travel choices.

Businesses are here to make a profit. Who made 'taking it away' the role of the council, and why is 'making a profit' grounds to charge more when 'living in a nice area' is not? The residents don't 'just happen to live there', they chose to live here just as much as the businesses chose to be here.

I understood the aim of the scheme was to free up more spaces for shoppers and residents, not to discourage commuters - although that was part of it. I rather thought it was to discourage people from parking on Ecclesall Road and getting the bus to town though, rather than to stop people who actually work here from parking? Businesses that are here cannot take up too many spaces as initially at least you could only get one permit per business - at least that was the case until the council realised they could make more money by selling more permits.

I understood the aim of the scheme was to free up more spaces for shoppers and residents, not to discourage commuters - although that was part of it. I rather thought it was to discourage people from parking on Ecclesall Road and getting the bus to town though, rather than to stop people who actually work here from parking? Businesses that are here cannot take up too many spaces as initially at least you could only get one permit per business - at least that was the case until the council realised they could make more money by selling more permits.

Yes, the aim was to free up space and that was to be achieved by discouraging commuters. Some of those commuters parked up and went into town, but many were from the immediate area. Some businesses in the area employ significant numbers of people.

Residents also were only allowed one permit at first, because it wasn't clear wheter there was enough space for second permits. Some businesses got additional permits on a time limited basis because, withthe Council's help, they were prepared to put travel plans in place which helped them reduce their reliance on car use.

Yes, the aim was to free up space and that was to be achieved by discouraging commuters. Some of those commuters parked up and went into town, but many were from the immediate area. Some businesses in the area employ significant numbers of people.

Residents also were only allowed one permit at first, because it wasn't clear wheter there was enough space for second permits. Some businesses got additional permits on a time limited basis because, withthe Council's help, they were prepared to put travel plans in place which helped them reduce their reliance on car use.

Its all about stopping commuters. Planner1 has often used the term "fly-parking" on this forum. Its clear what his/her view is on people commuting by car.

I could get the bus in, but its cheaper, quicker and more pleasant by car, and I can't see that changing soon.

I would be more convinced by Planner1's desire to stop commuter parking if, on another thread, he hadn't siad that he did exactly the same thing by driving to Glossop, parking, and then catching the train into Manchester. It's this sort of do as I say, not as I do attitude that pervades council thinking.

I would be more convinced by Planner1's desire to stop commuter parking if, on another thread, he hadn't siad that he did exactly the same thing by driving to Glossop, parking, and then catching the train into Manchester. It's this sort of do as I say, not as I do attitude that pervades council thinking.

Ever been to Glossop? They have a rail station park & ride car park(small, so you need to be there early), and if that's full, there's another, much bigger one (and very little used) at Dinting, the next station, a short distance along the line.

You're also confusing an individual's desires and beliefs, with their duty to carry out the organisation they represent's policies.

• 4 months later...

To update on this the review of the Sharrowvale Parking scheme will be discuseed the Highways committe on 17 June http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/your-city-council/council-meetings/cabinet-highways-committee

I (+51 others) have objected to the totally pointless proposal to introduce the parking scheme to the Hunter House area of Hunters Bar. Only 15 comments supported it............but apparently there was a narrow majority of people supporting the scheme in the original consultation. So this will go to a vote! If you live in the area, and don't have a problem with Mon-Fri daytime parking, PLEASE VOTE NO!!!!

• 1 month later...
WARNING! be very careful, Parking Services make it difficult to get hold of permit and are now deliberately taking ages issuing people with Parking Permits so they have more of a chance of raising revenue and issuing PCN's.

I have always thought the policing of the controlled zones to be pretty laid back

Particularly compared to other cities where it is blatantly used to raise revenue for the council

WARNING! be very careful, Parking Services make it difficult to get hold of permit and are now deliberately taking ages issuing people with Parking Permits so they have more of a chance of raising revenue and issuing PCN's.

That is categorically NOT true.

Archived