Sharrowvale Parking Scheme - new thread

I'd guess the people now parking on your road are the ones who don't have permits. You should bear in mind that second permits could become available to residents too.

If you want to opt back in, you should all make it plain to the Council that you don't think that it is necessary to lose 10m of parking at junctions on residential side roads. They have reduced the amont of junction protection in some places, but I'd say that it is necessary for safety reasons where people are turning into a side street from a main road.

So we would lose it then - and be worse off than we already are.

Hey Town PLanners, a few tips to make this thing really work.

1) Instead of charging £35 per car, why not charge £500, that way car numbers will be cut, plus this will really generate money (although at this stage I must point out, my ideas have nothing to do with raising revenue)

2) Double yellow lines, put them all over Sharrowvale, this would have an excellent impact on clearing the roads and stop people from parking on them.

3) the above 2 proposals will then force people onto the buses (no sorry rephrase that) get people to re-evaluate how they get about etc.....

4) and when everyone is dependant on buses to get about, the bus companys will whack up the bus fares.

Everyones happy, no one can go to work...... no pollution/congestion etc... :thumbsup:

Can I get a job as a town planner with my innovative ideas?

Hello everyone, I’m new to this forum and wading through a number of your previous posts I couldn’t help but notice that the thread seems to be all but dedicated to knocking the Sharrowvale Parking Scheme and the Sheffield City Council so I’d like to join the party.

I live in Sharrow Street at the London Road end of the scheme. Up until 2005 my street wasn’t even part of the Sharrow Vale Parking Scheme even though we suffered with commuter cars clogging every inch of gutter five days per week. The situation had become so bad both myself and other residents had seriously considered leaving rather than living in a public car park where we couldn’t leave our own vehicles in the same street as our homes.

It became so bad that in July 2005 I personally knocked on every door in the immediate area and collected over 100 signatures on a petition requesting the Sharrow Vale Scheme be extended beyond Cemetery Road as far as London Road. This was followed by a meeting attended by local councillors and the Traffic Planning Department (yes, Planner1 included). Again, I personally photocopied and put notices through every letterbox in the surrounding streets urging residents to attend and have their say.

With only a couple of exceptions, the meeting was full of angry residents demanding we be added to the scheme. Planner1, his boss and the members of Council who attended were left with no doubt about the feelings of local people. Following the raising of the same points at subsequent Panel and Council meetings the scheme was eventually extended.

There was consultation. There was opportunity to object. There were modifications to plans to suit specific points that had been overlooked on initial draft. We ALL received letters explaining how the scheme would work, what it would cost, approximate timings etc.

A number of people in streets at the Hunters Bar end wanted to opt out, they were warned that the scheme would displace parking and they would get the brunt of it (is that not obvious?), but the whole process was delayed so those streets could vote in or out. How much more democratic could the Council be??

A scheme of this nature will never satisfy everyone. It is going to cause displacement until the cars are displaced so far away from the city centre that it simply isn’t worth the hassle of driving in alone. More businesses need to take a lead with their own transport plans and yes we do need a better, cheaper public transport.

However, I cannot think of a more efficient way of ridding our residential streets of commuters’ cars than implementing a residents only parking scheme. We can pontificate about carrots rather than sticks, but in the end people love their cars and they’re not going to leave their little bit of independent luxury to stand at a bus stop on a cold winters morning waiting for a 76. I would personally prefer not to have to pay £37 per year to park in my own neighbourhood but that’s a small price to pay compared to the hassle and oppression of being swamped by commuter parking five days per week (and football supporters every other Saturday through the season).

I’m sorry to hear that so many of you are dissatisfied and upset about the scheme but where I live the commuter parking has been strangling the neighbourhood for so many years the scheme has come as nothing short of a breath of fresh air.

To those people who are now living with the displaced cars, I would respectfully suggest you lobby the council to extend the scheme further, WE know how you feel – WE'VE lived with commuter parking for many years. But look on the bright side..... as we’ve just experienced, it only takes about seven years to implement a scheme from conception!

APOLOGIES IF THIS AS ALREADY BEEN ON

Was in a shop on London Road yesterday when someone from the council came in with some leaflets for the sharrowvale scheme , he reminded the shop keeper that they will start to enforce the scheme from next Monday 22nd October 2007

ppz resident:

So you're one of the people to blame for this - one of those who feels its ok to dump on others to solve your own problems.

You recognise "in the end people love their cars and they’re not going to leave their little bit of independent luxury to stand at a bus stop on a cold winters morning waiting for a 76", but you still think it's ok to force them to do that, just because it suits your personal preference, and that of your neighbours. And in the course of your attempt to force peope to live the way that suits you, you also are prepared to dump your problem on the inhabitants of neighbouring streets who aren't even the commuters responsible for your problems, so that they are forced to do the same to protect themselves.

You chose to live in a location that is attractive partly because it is close enough to amenities such as places of employment. It is so attractive that many other people drive there every weekday morning and park their cars there during the day, whereas you get those advantages right on your doorstep - something that is undoubtedly reflected in the values of your homes. The price is that you have to share it with other people. Granted, the problem may have increased over the years, but that's a problem you have to sort out without using force to make other people's lives worse. If you can't sort it out without using force to make other people's lives worse, then move.

The situation had become so bad both myself and other residents had seriously considered leaving rather than living in a public car park where we couldn’t leave our own vehicles in the same street as our homes.....that’s a small price to pay compared to the hassle and oppression of being swamped by commuter parking five days per week (and football supporters every other Saturday through the season).

Of course, commuter parking is only an issue 8-6, Mon-Fri. So you only had a problem with it during those hours - when presumably most of you were out at work anyway.

Look, I'm sorry if there are problems inherent in the area that you have chosen to live in. I genuinely hope you can find a way to solve them that doesn't involve attacking other people or forcing them to live the way you think they should. That's your business.

All I require is that you LEAVE ME THE F... ALONE. If instead you choose to attack me in this way, then I hope you pay a price for it. I look forward to the day when some local group of busybodies imposes on you something you hate, using government force.

Hello everyone, I’m new to this forum and wading through a number of your previous posts I couldn’t help but notice that the thread seems to be all but dedicated to knocking the Sharrowvale Parking Scheme and the Sheffield City Council so I’d like to join the party.

I live in Sharrow Street at the London Road end of the scheme. Up until 2005 my street wasn’t even part of the Sharrow Vale Parking Scheme even though we suffered with commuter cars clogging every inch of gutter five days per week. The situation had become so bad both myself and other residents had seriously considered leaving rather than living in a public car park where we couldn’t leave our own vehicles in the same street as our homes.

It became so bad that in July 2005 I personally knocked on every door in the immediate area and collected over 100 signatures on a petition requesting the Sharrow Vale Scheme be extended beyond Cemetery Road as far as London Road. This was followed by a meeting attended by local councillors and the Traffic Planning Department (yes, Planner1 included). Again, I personally photocopied and put notices through every letterbox in the surrounding streets urging residents to attend and have their say.

With only a couple of exceptions, the meeting was full of angry residents demanding we be added to the scheme. Planner1, his boss and the members of Council who attended were left with no doubt about the feelings of local people. Following the raising of the same points at subsequent Panel and Council meetings the scheme was eventually extended.

There was consultation. There was opportunity to object. There were modifications to plans to suit specific points that had been overlooked on initial draft. We ALL received letters explaining how the scheme would work, what it would cost, approximate timings etc.

A number of people in streets at the Hunters Bar end wanted to opt out, they were warned that the scheme would displace parking and they would get the brunt of it (is that not obvious?), but the whole process was delayed so those streets could vote in or out. How much more democratic could the Council be??

A scheme of this nature will never satisfy everyone. It is going to cause displacement until the cars are displaced so far away from the city centre that it simply isn’t worth the hassle of driving in alone. More businesses need to take a lead with their own transport plans and yes we do need a better, cheaper public transport.

However, I cannot think of a more efficient way of ridding our residential streets of commuters’ cars than implementing a residents only parking scheme. We can pontificate about carrots rather than sticks, but in the end people love their cars and they’re not going to leave their little bit of independent luxury to stand at a bus stop on a cold winters morning waiting for a 76. I would personally prefer not to have to pay £37 per year to park in my own neighbourhood but that’s a small price to pay compared to the hassle and oppression of being swamped by commuter parking five days per week (and football supporters every other Saturday through the season).

I’m sorry to hear that so many of you are dissatisfied and upset about the scheme but where I live the commuter parking has been strangling the neighbourhood for so many years the scheme has come as nothing short of a breath of fresh air.

To those people who are now living with the displaced cars, I would respectfully suggest you lobby the council to extend the scheme further, WE know how you feel – WE'VE lived with commuter parking for many years. But look on the bright side..... as we’ve just experienced, it only takes about seven years to implement a scheme from conception!

Tackling commuter parking is all very well and it obviously works for your area, so you say, but here at Hunters Bar the majority of objections relate to resdients who have never had problems parknig their cars but who would suffer through the introduction of the scheme- particularly as it would reduce the overall number of parking spaces - that's something to strongly object to. Never had a problem in 18yrs of living here - why should I now pay to park and have even LESS of a chance of getting a space?

Dearest Fletvictus,

Thanks for your prompt and flowery retort.

So you're one of the people to blame for this - one of those who feels its ok to dump on others to solve your own problems.

No, as I pointed out, I believe the only way to solve the inner city parking problem is to force people out of there cars and provide better public transport. And, yes, the better public transport is slow in coming (literally).

No, I don't feel its ok to dump ones own problems on others, it is an unfortunate consequence of solving this problem for all of us that it has to be done in stages prior to it benefiting all residents living near the city centre. The residents were here before the commuter cars, why should we have the cars forced on us now? If YOU don't like it, then do something about it as we did!

You chose to live in a location that is attractive partly because it is close enough to amenities such as places of employment. It is so attractive that many other people drive there every weekday morning and park their cars there during the day, whereas you get those advantages right on your doorstep - something that is undoubtedly reflected in the values of your homes. The price is that you have to share it with other people. Granted, the problem may have increased over the years, but that's a problem you have to sort out without using force to make other people's lives worse. If you can't sort it out without using force to make other people's lives worse, then move.

I live in a 2 up 2 down terrace in an area which receives government funding because of social need. I moved here seven years ago because I could afford the £35,000 asking price. I work all around the UK, I travel there by train and car. I could move, but I have made alot of friends here, there is a good community spirit. I think you need to spread your wings and look at other areas of the so-called "Sharrow Vale Scheme" Sharrow is not Sharrow Vale.

Of course, commuter parking is only an issue 8-6, Mon-Fri. So you only had a problem with it during those hours - when presumably most of you were out at work anyway.

There are alot of pensioners and families in our area, and not everyone who works fits into your pretty 8-6 timeslot. The kids (who all walk to school as it's close by) had to do so dodging cars and breathing carbon monoxide from all the commuters prowling around for spaces morning and night... I guess you don't like kids or old people either.

Look, I'm sorry if there are problems inherent in the area that you have chosen to live in. I genuinely hope you can find a way to solve them that doesn't involve attacking other people or forcing them to live the way you think they should. That's your business.

For a start, I/we haven't "attacked" anyone. Go on then, how would you solve it in stages without a knock on effect? It seems that you have the opportunity to indulge yourself right now with your own street. Do please let me know the viable alternative.

All I require is that you LEAVE ME THE F... ALONE. If instead you choose to attack me in this way, then I hope you pay a price for it. I look forward to the day when some local group of busybodies imposes on you something you hate, using government force.

There is a world of difference between a busybody and someone who simply has enough of a situation and decides do something about it. Talk to your neighbors, do something positive - it can work.

Personal attacks, ranting and abuse will not solve your problem Fletvictus.

Have a nice day.

No, as I pointed out, I believe the only way to solve the inner city parking problem is to force people out of there cars and provide better public transport. And, yes, the better public transport is slow in coming (literally).

So not only are you in fact happy to dump on other people to solve your own problems (which you haven't disputed at all in your reply, though perhaps you think you have), but you are also happy to force them to live the way you want them to, for your own selfish purposes.

The residents were here before the commuter cars, why should we have the cars forced on us now? If YOU don't like it, then do something about it as we did!

Some of the residents were there before the cars, yes. Technological and economic changes happen, and we all have to respond. But that's different from choosing to impose a change on people by force. And, no, unlike you I don't like the idea of using government and law against other people merely to make my own life better.

I live in a 2 up 2 down terrace

So do I.

I moved here seven years ago because I could afford the £35,000 asking price.

So you knew full well the nature of the area when you moved there, and it would have been obvious in 2000 that there was a potential for increases in the commuter traffic that certainly was already present. I've been here since before then, and I know the situation hasn't changed all that much.

And don't try to pretend there aren't cheaper places to live around Sheffield, because there are.

I work all around the UK, I travel there by train and car.

Bet it's nice living so convenient for the station, isn't it? I have to do a longer journey to get to the station, and it would be convenient for me if there weren't so much traffic on the way there and back, but unlike you I accept that I'm not entitled to use force on other people to make the world better for me.

There are alot of pensioners and families in our area, and not everyone who works fits into your pretty 8-6 timeslot. The kids (who all walk to school as it's close by) had to do so dodging cars and breathing carbon monoxide from all the commuters prowling around for spaces morning and night... I guess you don't like kids or old people either.

My 4 kids, who all walk to school, don't seem to have any problems with the traffic. And of course, contrary to your straw man, I don't have anything against "kids or old people", so long as they don't attack me. Just as with you, I wish them well in sorting out their own lives, but they don't have the right to attack my life just to make theirs better.

For a start, I/we haven't "attacked" anyone.

Let's see, you've collaborated with the government to bring in a scheme whereby they force me to pay money to them to park my car on my own road, and they prevent me parking outside my own house because they've decided that, after all these years without any problems, it's "necessary" to have double yellow lines there. And at the same time they've ensured that I'll have to compete with my neighbours for scarce parking spaces because they've reduced the available parking spaces by about a dozen on my road alone. If I don't hand the money over, and try to continue living my life as I did before, they'll ultimately confiscate my property, and if I still continue to try to live the way I did before, and I can't afford to keep paying their fines and replacing the cars they take, they'll lock me up, and use any necessary force up to and including killing me if I resist. Of course, none of that will happen, so long as I kowtow to the new rules that are being imposed upon me.

Of course you've attacked me, just like anyone who were to take £36 out of your wallet with menaces and not give you anything in return would have attacked you. You just choose not to see it that way because it allows you an easy conscience.

Go on then, how would you solve it in stages without a knock on effect? It seems that you have the opportunity to indulge yourself right now with your own street. Do please let me know the viable alternative.

It's your problem - you find a way to solve it. Before you collaborated with the council to attack me, I would have wished you well in doing so. Now, so far as I'm concerned, you deserve no sympathy.

Anyway, either you can solve the problem without dumping on others, or you have to live with it. Most people probably have things about our lives we'd like to make better, but can't see a legitimate way of doing so.

There is a world of difference between a busybody and someone who simply has enough of a situation and decides do something about it. Talk to your neighbors, do something positive - it can work.

And someone who resolves his own issues by imposing controls on others is a busybody.

If you'd organised action that didn't dump on others to solve your problem, I'd have all the respect in the world for you. As it is, you're just another bully attacking me.

Personal attacks, ranting and abuse will not solve your problem Fletvictus.

As I indicated before, I can only hope you are one day placed in the position of having something you hate imposed upon you by unassailable government force just because it makes life better for some group of busybodies.

Until then, you have no idea what you are talking about.

At Last - someone with a few good words about the new scheme!

The trouble with these discussion forums is that they attract the cynical ranters who do nothing but moan, moan, moan. Generally the people who are happy with schemes like this don't bother to give their opinion because they know all that will happen is that they will receive the vitriol such as that recently posted by Flectivus and the like.

Stick to your guns PPZ - and any other like minded people - let's have your opinions on the thread to give some balance.

the vitriol such as that recently posted by Flectivus and the like

LOL! "Vitriol", indeed!

You must be truely inexperienced on the internet (and indeed in "real life") to regard what I have posted here as "vitriol". Truth hurts, I suppose.

Sorry (not really) if I get tetchy when people dump their problems onto me and force me to spend time and effort defending myself. I'm sure the likes of yourself and "PPZ" are all sweetness and light when you get pushed around.

Archived