Sharrowvale Parking Scheme - new thread

I think it was the case that you couldn't provide evidence that shops were empty ;)

Off the top of my head I can only think of two units that are empty in Broomhill, one which has been empty for most of the last 3 years, and one which came empty a couple of months ago. A few others have changed hands and there are a few previously empty units that are now occupied.

Eccleshall Road? where's that?

I too spoke to a shopkeeper who has a premises on Sharrowvale. They travel to work by motorbike - guess what - no motorcycle parking provision, so they now have to park outside the area and walk.Also they are now seeing people stopping to buy what they need, and not window shopping to the same extent as they were before.

Has anyone noticed how many residences are now up for sale? Surely a glut on the market will drive values down. - reminds me of Broomhill where more shops are now standing empty then previously.

Interesting that ppz_resident paid for parking when their parking permit should have covered the parking... Now they are paying twice for what used to be free.

So you think that being able to park for one to four hours for 20p per hour doesn't promote more shopping?... I guess following your logic, not being able to stop at all is even better still for both retailers and customers!! - yes?

Are you suggesting dozens of people are so dumb that they'll just put their houses up for sale because of a residents parking scheme which started last Monday?

As permit holding residents, we are still required to pay for parking on Ecclesall Road because this parking is on a time controlled bus lane. - READ the information. Get the facts.

Eccleshall Road? where's that?

I too spoke to a shopkeeper who has a premises on Sharrowvale. They travel to work by motorbike - guess what - no motorcycle parking provision, so they now have to park outside the area and walk.Also they are now seeing people stopping to buy what they need, and not window shopping to the same extent as they were before.

Has anyone noticed how many residences are now up for sale? Surely a glut on the market will drive values down. - reminds me of Broomhill where more shops are now standing empty then previously.

Interesting that ppz_resident paid for parking when their parking permit should have covered the parking... Now they are paying twice for what used to be free.

My apologies for my spelling, I did mean Ecclesall Road (as you didn't twig). You are scraping the bottom of the barrel picking me up on it "Litotes". Thats a sign of being on the back foot if ever i saw one! :)

Motorbikes - good point, well made :)

If its all about commuter traffic why penalise motorbikes?

For those of you who dont ride there is nowhere to put a ticket or permit securely on a bike.

In London bikes are congestion and controlled parking exempt.

But to repeat myself again it cant be about commuters as the scheme runs on Saturdays

(Oh and a certain employer at Hunters Bar is alleged to have been given a boat load of permits at taxpayers expense)

Deepak

PS Do we know how many permits the school got yet?

A resident's (nor business one come to that) permit does not cover parking on Sharrowvale outside the shops nor Ecclesall Road, they have only pay & display bays.

A resident's (nor business one come to that) permit does not cover parking on Sharrowvale outside the shops nor Ecclesall Road, they have only pay & display bays.

The exclusions are actually pay and display parking just next to the school on Sharrow Lane, pay and display on Ecclesall Road and the Stewart Road shoppers car park.

I do agree about the number of permits alloted to the school. With so many commuter teachers (nearly all arriving and leaving at the same time) I don't understand why the school hasn't developed a reasonable transport plan of its own and set an example to the pupils.

I do agree about the number of permits alloted to the school. With so many commuter teachers (nearly all arriving and leaving at the same time) I don't understand why the school hasn't developed a reasonable transport plan of its own and set an example to the pupils.

I understand that this is only the initial allocation and they are being required to commit to significantly reducing the number of permits issued over an agreed period. (Possibly 6 to 12 months but I'm not sure of this).

Obviously I am not a fan of the scheme thus far and I still think parts of it are deeply flawed.

However, I can give credit where it's due and I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised by how quickly the application forms for second permits have been delivered. According to two out of the three council workers I spoke to in the parking services department, we could expect to wait 'a couple of months'. I'm glad to see this isn't the case.

Archived