Sharrowvale Parking Scheme - new thread

The exclusions are actually pay and display parking just next to the school on Sharrow Lane, pay and display on Ecclesall Road and the Stewart Road shoppers car park.

I do agree about the number of permits alloted to the school. With so many commuter teachers (nearly all arriving and leaving at the same time) I don't understand why the school hasn't developed a reasonable transport plan of its own and set an example to the pupils.

The school do have a travel plan as do many of the schools in Sheffield.

The Travel Plan staff at the Council have been working with the school to refine it and make it more effective. The idea is that they get more permits at the start, which reduces over a defined period as the Travel Plan takes effect.

For those of you who doubt the effectiveness of Travel Planning, you should read : http://www.guardian.co.uk/transport/Story/0,,2200714,00.html

The Government are looking at putting more money into personalised travel planning because it is so effective, recent trials in 3 towns resulted in a 10% reduction in car trips. It has been tried in Sheffied, a pilot scheme was done in the Hillsborough area a few years ago, which had similarly good results, but wasn't taken forward due to lack of funding.

Why have we never actually been given the figures of the number of people who voted for the scheme...?

Why haven't you been given the results? Probably because you waste your time moaning about it on here, instead of asking the people who have the results (ie the Council) for the information you want. It's in the public domain, it was contained in a Cabinet report on the results of the consultation exercise for the Peripheral Parking Zone.

The only "vote" which has taken place was in the opt-out area at Hunters Bar, where residents were ballotted and voted to stay out of the scheme.

There's a difference between a consultation exercise and a vote, as well you know. A questionnaire was distributed for the initial Peripheral Parking Zone consultation, no-one ever said they'd be bound by the results from one particular area, it wasn't a ballot.

Most of the signing, lining and markings are a government requirement. Never been a fan of railings myself, would take most of them out if it was my call, unfortunately some others, including road safety auditors, don't agree.

The idea of removing everything is quite new and isn't extensively tried and tested in the UK yet.

It is difficult to think outside the box these days. No one is going to be criticised for following the government advice are they?

Risk Compensation - which is what this is based on is nothing new and hardly unknown, I was reading about this subject, with regard to road safety 15 years ago. It's just that [as you sort of said] no-one has the guts to try anything different.

What I said was that it is now easier to park in the metered areas now that the comuters no longer park there. Duh!
Double Duh, missed the point a second time. You said

"However Kenwood is now fully parked up so I suppose that they have now moved up there."

Hence my comment about the people at Kenwood are probably pleased now they have your old problem. Nothing to do with shopping.

The value of multiple occupancy properties is only going to effect a landlords bank balance when selling a property. My heart bleeds.

People owning and living in their own property should see an increase in desirability. Being able to park a car near your home is a great advantage.

Have you even read this thread? People here have been complaining that that is exactly what they cannot do! Whereas they could before.:loopy:

And as for the pathetic anti landlord comments, many people would be homeless if there weren't landlords prepared to let rooms. As there's is no way many people could afford to buy a house, which is the only other real option bar a B+B.

Anybody who owns their own house in Sharrowvale can afford a house with a drive if they so desire.

Is this the most naive comment yet on this thread?

Please explain as to how I can get a driveway. Without selling up and moving away from where I like living. And without costing many thousands of pounds.

Fair enough, we all get a second chance on SF. I know how emotive things can be sometimes. :)

The caveat that you make is that you want to stay in the area. I simply said that if people wanted a drive they could. However that may not be in the area. It's about personal choices really and we all have to weigh up what's important to ourselves. Some people want / need 2 cars and somewhere to put them. Others like having the amenities close at hand. Sometimes you can find somewhere that does both.

The price of a even the cheapest house in Sharrow will buy you something nice and modern with a drive in many nice areas of Sheffield.

These are some of the challenges and choices we face in the future as the world becomes more crowded.

Archived