Sharrowvale Parking Scheme - new thread

I understand this is what most other cities do. I would like to hear some justifcation for the cost of the 2nd permit which is double that of the 1st. If this is to contribute to an admin fee why should the admin of processing the 2nd be that much greater than that of the 1st?

The idea of the higher fee for second permits was that it would help encourage people to consider all transport options before asking for the extra permit.

The idea of the higher fee for second permits was that it would help encourage people to consider all transport options before asking for the extra permit.

But... but... but...

If I were to use another option, then I would leave my car at home..., but then I would need another permit wouldn't I!!! (And not having a second car is NOT an option for me and my wife, as it isn't for many other people).

Instead of which, I now use my car more.

Sheffield City Council doing their bit for the environment as usual.

But... but... but...

If I were to use another option, then I would leave my car at home..., but then I would need another permit wouldn't I!!! (And not having a second car is NOT an option for me and my wife, as it isn't for many other people).

Instead of which, I now use my car more.

Sheffield City Council doing their bit for the environment as usual.

Of course the idea is to persuade those who don't "need" to have a second car.

You'll be getting a second permit soon so perhaps you'll quit moaning then?

Of course the idea is to persuade those who don't "need" to have a second car.

You'll be getting a second permit soon so perhaps you'll quit moaning then?

Hey good point there on 2nd cars....

I raised this point a few days ago, (I have recently become a green activist) as most cars have 4 seats, and as such if only 2 people live in a house, then as such a 4 seat car would accomodate them both.

THE REPLYS..... well, ridiculous excuses, some people saying they work at different locations etc.... pathetic

Hey have you thought Planner1, you could persuade the powers that be to give these people a real blooded nose, ie charge £2000 for a 2nd car. ;)

One of the people who live in the house, would then decide to quite their jobs, sign on, sell the car as they would no longer need them

Hey presto, one car housholds......The jobs a good un

Hey good point there on 2nd cars....

I raised this point a few days ago, (I have recently become a green activist) as most cars have 4 seats, and as such if only 2 people live in a house, then as such a 4 seat car would accomodate them both.

THE REPLYS..... well, ridiculous excuses, some people saying they work at different locations etc.... pathetic

Hey have you thought Planner1, you could persuade the powers that be to give these people a real blooded nose, ie charge £2000 for a 2nd car. ;)

One of the people who live in the house, would then decide to quite their jobs, sign on, sell the car as they would no longer need them

Hey presto, one car housholds......The jobs a good un

hmm, here is an equally serious suggestion - perhaps only those houses with off road parking should be eligible to have children, and perhaps only single people should be eligible to live within the parking zone.

A decent house round here costs around £200K minimum - with 5 students paying £60 a week that's just over a grand a month assuming students are here for 42 weeks. That's about 16 years before you've paid off your initial investment if you bought cash, and if you have a buy to let mortgage, the payments won't be much different, even with a decent deposit, so how have landlords forced prices up? It's only landlords who've had houses here for years that are raking it in because they bought them for practically nowt. I think we all just need to accept that the parking scheme is here and won't go away, regardless of whether we support it or not. In an ideal world we'd all have houses with garages and a wonderful integrated transport system that was cheap and easy to use. But it's not an ideal world, and we don't - so rather than attacking those who need/want 2 cars, or pointlessly slagging off the council who just please themselves regardless, let's just all try and be nice to each other!

Run out of any form of defense for this scheme, I see.

I'll only stop airing my grievances when this council is out of office.

That's an interesting comment! Especially as Decriminalised Parking Enforcement (i.e. where the local authority takes over responsibility for the enforcement of all the parking restrictions, witha few minor exceptions) has all party support. It was Conservative Legislation (Road Traffic Act 1991) and all the principles have been continued by successive Labour Governments.

Sorry - can't see you having a rest from airing your grievances anytime soon!

Archived