Sharrowvale Parking Scheme - new thread

You also said: I suppose downturns in local trade are nothing to do with the general tightening of purse-strings that appears to be happening across the board?

If your replies are anything to go by then £36 this year and £70 plus next year is invaluable considering the general tightneing of purse-strings that appears to be happening across the board.

It probably wasn't the only reason, but one that was a (forgive the pun) a driving factor toward the decision.

If you have to pay, just stay away.

If tightening of purse strings is the motivation, it seems counter intuitive to move, given the costs which this inevitably incurrs.

Where do you get £70 next year from? The price of a parking permit in Sheffield has gone up once, by a whole pound, from £35 to £36 since the initial Broomhall permit zone was introduced, several years ago. Not exactly hyper-inflation!

If tightening of purse strings is the motivation, it seems counter intuitive to move, given the costs which this inevitably incurrs.

Where do you get £70 next year from? The price of a parking permit in Sheffield has gone up once, by a whole pound, from £35 to £36 since the initial Broomhall permit zone was introduced, several years ago. Not exactly hyper-inflation!

Sorry, was looking at the 2nd permit cost. However it is still effectively an extra tax that has to be taken account of. If you can move to an area without this over the longer term you will save.

Sorry, was looking at the 2nd permit cost. However it is still effectively an extra tax that has to be taken account of. If you can move to an area without this over the longer term you will save.

I just moved house, it cost me between £15k and £20k to do it. How many lifetimes would it take to save that from £36 per annum? Even if you're renting, there's a cost involved in moving and it's likely to be a lot more than £36.

My guess is that pretty much the only people who would want to move as a result of the introduction of parking permits are those who live in multipe occupancy houses who fall foul of the 2 permits per household rule.

I just moved house, it cost me between £15k and £20k to do it. How many lifetimes would it take to save that from £36 per annum? Even if you're renting, there's a cost involved in moving and it's likely to be a lot more than £36.

My guess is that pretty much the only people who would want to move as a result of the introduction of parking permits are those who live in multipe occupancy houses who fall foul of the 2 permits per household rule.

Thats probably true....but I'm certainly put off moving into this area. Its an area we were considering, but without your own drive we are at the mercy of the council decisions on parking in the area. £36 or £70 a year is no issue. What if the road you move to allows two permits per household and then reduced it to one? I believe it is only one in certain roads. I wouldn't want the hassle, so this entire area has been struck off our house search zone.

I believe it is only one in certain roads.

This is where the council comes unstuck...

They say that there is no guarantee regarding parking in your own street - just the whole scheme area. Then they measure permits per street...

Or even worse, in Broomhill, there is one street upon which parking is restricted to only the resident's of that road - I have asked how they managed to get that distinction and got no reply...

Or even worse, in Broomhill, there is one street upon which parking is restricted to only the resident's of that road - I have asked how they managed to get that distinction and got no reply...

As I recall it, there was at least one street in Broomhill which already had it's own residents only permit parking scheme before the area wide one came in. They were allowed to keep what they had as the reasons for allowing it were still valid.

Chandos Street certainly came into that category, very small street, hardly enough room for the residents to park, let alone anyone else.

Thats probably true....but I'm certainly put off moving into this area. Its an area we were considering, but without your own drive we are at the mercy of the council decisions on parking in the area. £36 or £70 a year is no issue. What if the road you move to allows two permits per household and then reduced it to one? I believe it is only one in certain roads. I wouldn't want the hassle, so this entire area has been struck off our house search zone.

Property is all about opinions. Some people view the permit parking scheme as a positive thing, some don't. If your housing decisions are based on parking availability or lack thereof, don't forget that the Council intend to put in similar residents parking zones to form a ring right around the city centre. They're also looking at simailar schemes in District Shopping Centres, like Hillsborough.

As car ownership continues to grow, parking is set to become an issue in more and more places.

Property is all about opinions. ...don't forget that the Council intend to put in similar residents parking zones to form a ring right around the city centre.

Choosing another council is an option too

Archived