Sharrowvale Parking Scheme - new thread

Hello Everyone,

The subject of the Sharrowvale Parking Scheme has been hotly debated from it's proposition through it's inception and continues now.

In it's December edition, Sharrow Today, Sharrow's community newspaper will make an attempt at answering the question, has the Sharrowvale Parking Scheme worked? From reading posts to this thread it is clear that there is not really any consensus on this matter.

The council's stated aim on introducing the scheme was to reduce commuter parking and encourage the use of public transport amongst travellers to the city centre, to what degree has this been achieved? Does the council have any data that might address this question?

Residents local to the area affected by the scheme fall broadly into two camps - those for whom the scheme has heralded a welcome relief from parking pressures and those others who have experienced new levels of nuisance after it's inception.

Of local business' many have expressed considerable concern about their ongoing viability due to decreased footfalls. Sharrow Today is yet to hear from any business people who are grateful for the scheme.

What do you think? It would be good to hear from local people directly (though sharrow today is not above merely poaching your comments from here!), perhaps you might like to write in with your thoughts? mark at sharrowcf dot org dot uk or

Sharrow Today

Sharrow Community Forum

The Old Junior School

South View Road

Sheffield

S7 1DB

Sharrow Today is happy to visit residents at home for short interviews if they prefer. call Mark on 250 8384.

Distributed to 6,000 Sharrow households, as well as local councillors, planners and decision makers. this is a great opportunity to let off some steam!

Please get in touch

I'm a commuter into the area. I thought it would make a difference, and make parking more difficult. Its made no difference really - I still don't get the bus. I drive in and park just a street further away . In addition, the parking meter bays I sometimes use are good - its made parking more available. I was previously against the scheme but I'm eating humble pie to be honest.

Hotphil,

The article will be published online at http://www.sharrowcf.org.uk find the link for Sharrow Today - will be up there from around December 2nd

Planner1 - has there been a review published of the Sharrowvale scheme as yet? perhap s you would like to put your point of view across to readers of Sharrow Today?

I believe there has been a review, but results haven't been reported yet.

I think that's the thing - all these schemes do is push the problem to where there wasn't one before.

There is always going to be some displacement, that's made clear from the beginning. That isn't "all" they do, there are many benefits, but there is always a downside. The Council are open about this and it's up to the local people whether they want it or not.

Sorry, yes. There are some benefits. One of the bad points is an increase in parking problems on surrounding areas who don't, I believe, receive the benefit of prior consultation about a problem that's about to land in their lap as the area next to them gets the benefits of a scheme.

I'm initially very anti these schemes as shown on my previous posts. And I think the proposed implementation in my area would be a huge mistake, but I'm interested to read up on the sharrowforum article (assuming it'll be a balanced one of course). I might be swayed into supporting it if there are any benefits. But I've yet to see one that's enough to offset the negative impacts (not just to me, but those that would then have a problem moved to their street if a scheme were introduced on my road).

Sorry, yes. There are some benefits. One of the bad points is an increase in parking problems on surrounding areas who don't, I believe, receive the benefit of prior consultation about a problem that's about to land in their lap as the area next to them gets the benefits of a scheme.

I'm initially very anti these schemes as shown on my previous posts. And I think the proposed implementation in my area would be a huge mistake, but I'm interested to read up on the sharrowforum article (assuming it'll be a balanced one of course). I might be swayed into supporting it if there are any benefits. But I've yet to see one that's enough to offset the negative impacts (not just to me, but those that would then have a problem moved to their street if a scheme were introduced on my road).

There's always a debate on how widely you should consult. If you consult the immediate area outside the scheme, they may well say they want to be included, so there would obviously be displacement even wider, so should you consult even wider than that..........where do you stop?

You also have to consider the amount of time and resource you have available when considering how big to make a scheme and how extensively you consult. Extensive consultation has a cost and takes time.

The Sharrow Vale scheme was big to start with, then got extended because people in a wider area wanted to be included. Extending it yet further would have been a problem. Displacement problems can always be picked up in the review when parking patterns have settled down post scheme implementation.

Yep that makes a lot of sense.

I think my objections would be eased if the following ideas (which will no doubt have flaws) were incorporated:

- all or nothing. Either do the scheme the whole way round the city at once or not at all. The piecemeal approach, whilst I can understand the reasons for it, just temporarily shifts commuter parking round the city and annoys all affected.

- where does the money go? They'll be the usual suspicion about the charges just going into council coffers. I'd suggest several things, firstly increase the P&D charges substantially (make the cost of the meters actually worthwhile). Determine where the commuters are coming from and then plough all of the revenue raised by the scheme (minus the substantial setup and running costs obviously) directly and very publicly into lowering the public transport fares for commuters from those areas. I imagine some residents would feel aggrieved that money they pay for a permit benefits people living elsewhere, but they get the apparent benefits of the schemes to offset that.

Archived