Sharrowvale Parking Scheme - new thread

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've just seen some interesting figures from the council that those on the thread might be interested in.

The headline figure is that the the scheme made a profit of £169,497 in the last year - or 40% of the cost of running it.

The total running costs were £418,266, and the total income was £587,763, of which just over £100,000 was from selling permits to residents and businesses and just over £231,000 was from fines.

It is interesting to note that the money made would be enough to allow residents and businesses to park for free as it exceeds the permit income.

Or, my preferred option would be to make the first half hour of parking free.

Any thoughts on the above?

Where I live the scheme has been a great success for residents and I'm happy for it to make a profit. I agree though that perhaps the permit for a first car should be free or more wardens, paid for out of the profits.

If I read those figures right, then if no fines had been issued the scheme would have made a loss? Might be interesting to see next year's figures - a certain amount of the fines will inevitably have been issued as people got "educated" on the scheme. Would it be wrong to assume that as more people become "aware" of it, the fines issued will decrease? If there's a shortfall next year, will prices have to be "revised"? (I love the way bus fares and parking charges are always "revised", never "increased"

And where's the surplus cash gone?

If I read those figures right, then if no fines had been issued the scheme would have made a loss? Might be interesting to see next year's figures - a certain amount of the fines will inevitably have been issued as people got "educated" on the scheme. Would it be wrong to assume that as more people become "aware" of it, the fines issued will decrease? If there's a shortfall next year, will prices have to be "revised"? (I love the way bus fares and parking charges are always "revised", never "increased"

And where's the surplus cash gone?

I was told that from the experience of the Broomhall zone, once people had got used to it, the level of parking fines became reasonably consistent. People are people and they will sometimes get it wrong, overstay etc

I've just seen some interesting figures from the council that those on the thread might be interested in.

The headline figure is that the the scheme made a profit of £169,497 in the last year - or 40% of the cost of running it.

The total running costs were £418,266, and the total income was £587,763, of which just over £100,000 was from selling permits to residents and businesses and just over £231,000 was from fines.

Bear in mind that that was the first year of the scheme and so infrastructure costs may have been included.

The newspaper report says that 4 'wardens' are employed on the scheme, and I can't believe that even Sheffield City Council would pay a parking attandant - enforcement jobsworth (whatever), £100,00 a year.

I would imagine that with on-costs a PW would cost about £35,000 (inc pension etc), a car would be £15,000 max, tickets perhaps £5000, therefore costs would be £160,000. Which is more than was raised from the meters themselves.

Can I ask where you got your figures from? It is just that I am awaiting the response from a Freedom of Information Act request (which is now overdue) which was asking for a complete breakdown of costs.

Archived