Sharrowvale Parking Scheme - new thread

thats the best excuse of being anti-car ive ever heard. surely if the council were trying to level the playing field they will provide us drivers with car only lanes then ,so we dont have to share with all those big SLOW buses .

As much as i know that this next statement is going to get howls of disapproval, im going to say it anway.

The last time the bus's were on strike, i have never had such an easy time driving around sheffield, traffic times were halfed, ok yes i do feel sorry for those who have to use a bus, but there was NO conjestion in sheffield at all!!

As much as i know that this next statement is going to get howls of disapproval, im going to say it anway.

The last time the bus's were on strike, i have never had such an easy time driving around sheffield, traffic times were halfed, ok yes i do feel sorry for those who have to use a bus, but there was NO conjestion in sheffield at all!!

your right ,its a lot easier to drive where there are no buses

Ok, lets break this one down a bit shall we

Operational Enforcement £133,448---we already have this, so that cost is already there, therefor irrelivent

Permit Administration £35,244 agreed

PCN Processing £40,360, already in place before parking schemes in place

Supervision & Management £60,774, already in place

Maintenance* £51,088 already in place

Premises* £9,610 already in place

Transport* £10,250already in place

Supplies & Services* £35,545 already in place

Central & Departmental Support* £31,947 already in place

Total Expenditure £35,244

Pay & Display Income (On Street) £251,550

Pay & Display Income (Off Street) £4,751

Permit Income £100,293

Penalty Charge Income £231,169

Total Income £587,763

Net PROFIT then of £552,519

Care to tell us how 1/2 million quid being spend on any improvements to the transoprt infrastructure that shows a clear benifit to either car or bus users??

You have a somewhat simplistic view of running a large organisation and it's associated accounting.

As I understand it, parking attendants (4 I believe) are specifically tasked to that area. That wasn't the case before, so it's an additional resource and needs to be paid for, so does their transport. I understood that attendants were tasked specifically to each of the four new major permit parking schemes, that's quite a number of additional attendants and they need additional management and supervision. Services expand as their work increases, can't you understand that?

Premises - Parking services have moved to larger premises in recent times because they needed more space, due to having more staff. New staff need new lockers, uniforms, equipment, training etc etc

Similarly, administaration resources like PCN processing need to be upgraded and enhanced as more volume comes through, again, additional resource which needs to be funded.

Maintenance - thre weren't pay & display machines there before and therey are a great many signs adn roadmarkings which are specific to the scheme and MUST be in place to make the restrictions legal. Again an additional resource which has to be paid for.

Supplies and services - I'd guess this relates to all consumables used in comnnection with the scheme (parking tickets, pay & display tickets, letters etc etc) again, additional cost, needs to be paid.

Basically, you haven't got a clue how an organiasation like this is run, or the costs involved. Wasn't your best estimate £5 administration cost per permit.......Hmmmm.

Which shows you the clear benefits of having buses in their own lanes! No buses in your bit, no problems, so it seems.

Yes they are. I seem to remember people on here moaning about bus priority schemes, cycle lanes etc etc. Have you forgotten those?

A very short observation....Planner1 - Are you highlighting the totally inadequate cycle lanes in this city as evidence that the council (whichever party holds the reins) seriously address alternative modes of transport? I don't want to steer this debate into the usual car v cyclist debate (it's been done to death) but if you're not already, may I suggest doing a spot of cycling round the city and witness the botched job that has been made of provision for safer cycling.

i think Captain_Scarlet's point was,..
A lot of nonsensical illogical, selfish raving. Which had little to do with your next line.

...why should we have to pay £36 a year to park outside our own house? if it was £5 then it would be ok, that would have covered the admin costs (cost of printing permits, postage, time spent issuing ect) so the rest is just pure profit to the council
I have said I don't agree with how scheme was implemented and BTW it's another £72 for a second car

What do you use your car for, a recycling trip to Tesco perhaps, without doing any shopping like many recyclers? Or are you one of those folk that drives through The Peak National Park on weekends and bank holidays at a constant 30 mph holding everyone else up?

Maybe the school trip, clogging up the roads, illegally parking on double yellow lines or infront of someones drive, producing a generation of overweight unfit kids who will need a car to go 100 yards when they grow up, just because its deemed unsafe for them to walk to school.

Seriously though, as you are so anti car why can't you manage without one? You can do on-line shopping and either pay for heavy purchases to be delivered or use free delivery retailers. You sound like one of those holier than thou Americans who is totally ani gun ownership, but still keeps one in the bed side cabinet, just in case.

And you sound like a complete and utter moron, if you think that about me.

All of your above assumptions are remarkably incorrect and nothing like being close as all are the opposite of the reality.

I have a car for work usage and it's used for no other reason other for very occasional long journeys, when I don't use the train.

why the hell should buses be given priority ?
Because, overall more people benefit. If you weren't so remarkably selfish you would understand the concept.

Me, me, me, me, me, me is all you get from the ranting drivers on this thread over last few days. Me, me, me, me, me, me. Try considering other people for a change. A car is a privilege not a right.

car dont get anything -
:loopy: Obviously you've not noticed all those handy little roads and motorways all around the country then?

Archived