New Gay Club To Open In Sheffield!

Pussy Cats

Text from Fuuuel:

Great news this! I just got wind of this from a certain friend of mine, and although I'm currently in Ireland, I'll be back in Sheffield and there on Thursday in my finest!

Look out for me too as one of the finalists in the SHEFFIELD'S GOT TALENT' competition a couple of days beforehand at the Westway, West St. (Tuesday 20th Nov., from 8PM)

WHy is there not a big club equivalent to somewhere like embrace in Sheffield?

We have a number of them in Birmingham and they are there in Leeds and Manchester.

Ive just to come to Sheff for uni, i'm from Birmingham

I've only been to Dempseys and Lions lair so far

Dempseys- o my god it's like 1950 the whole thing makes you feel like its still illegal to be gay, stupid having to be a member to get in, and the fact that you can't bring guests in, no other "club"(and i use that word very loosely when refering to demps) operates such a strict policy I was apalled.

Lions Lair - Saturday night and it just felt like you were in a village pub, the music is blaring but there is nowhere to dance so you have to shout to talk while you sit down round a little table.

I've not been to FAB nor XES but they aren't exactly in the city centre are they and i've heard they aren't too big either.

Affinity will be nice if its as classy as i think it might be, but What i really want is a proper size Nightclub! Birmingham has had one for 40years!

oh yeh

THank god for Climax! gutted its only once a month though!

and I know there prob be some people going on about more likely to get beaten up in city centre balh blah, Birminghams scene (sorry to keep comparing it but i am from brum so i know it best) is smack in the city centre right by some of the most popular "straight bars" there is never any trouble that i've heard of.

Its not that i need gaybars I infact spend a fair amount of m time in straight bars but its just sad that i dont have a place to take my friends here, whereas in brum you could always go to a good night out in a gay bar becuase they were amazing and not members only half of them aren't even members at all, and there are drinks promotions like £8 in and free drinks until 2am.

its true - will be called 'affinity' and opens this coming thursday.

should be good :love:

I won't be there this Thurs, but I hope everyone who goes enjoys it and that it turns out to be the 'classy' joint our scene deserves as I totally agree with what the Brummie said above about Lair and Dempseys.

I have to stay in Thursday night and wash my hair:hihi:

(ok, I'm working late into the night). Enjoy everyone:).

it will be the same as boho at a guess (look wise) as in the time they have had it they wont have done much, decorating wise etc. so dont expect any radical changes from what boho use to look like.

infact ill have a nosey tomorrow as i work like a min from it.

I won't be there this Thurs, but I hope everyone who goes enjoys it and that it turns out to be the 'classy' joint our scene deserves as I totally agree with what the Brummie said above about Lair and Dempseys.

I have to stay in Thursday night and wash my hair:hihi:

(ok, I'm working late into the night). Enjoy everyone:).

Well my hair takes less to wash, and as I am off work next week I may pop in Thursday night to have a look. :)

it will be the same as boho at a guess (look wise) as in the time they have had it they wont have done much, decorating wise etc. so dont expect any radical changes from what boho use to look like.

infact ill have a nosey tomorrow as i work like a min from it.

Well quite frankly I'll be very surprised if Boho takes off as a gay club - I've watched that place over the years from when it was a manky old 70s decor pub (cant remember the name) - that closed eventually - to the spruced up 80s decor bar (cant remember the name) - that closed eventually - to the terndy interior decor 90s bar with occasional live music and piano player - classy but that closed eventually - to the trendy Boho restaurant - classy but that closed eventually - so now we'll see how it fares as "Affinity" - but the history not good - it suffers mianly cos not a lot of other bars restaurants in the area (Save Sanctuary and Wig & Pen - and those that are close mainly the weekends - hey Affinity might bring more business to Sanctuary (which Ive always looked on as a "mixed" bar) which I notice is struggling a bit recently. On other hand St Vincents is an up and coming quarter with lots apartments and potential crowd ..

I suppose its one saving grace unlike Fab is that its central and you dont risk being mugged (both by criminals and the taxi drivers for fare) - so it might just take off - I wish it luck !

The best way they can succeed in my opinion is make it *mixed* and not "Ghetto Gay" so it gets a wider customer base ... which should be the case for all modern central gay bars nowadays anyway - and not "ghetto" lurking out in attercliffe or carlisle st like they are some nasty dirty secret to be hidden away and thereby drawing all sorts of dodgy characters there including drugs etc - there you go I've said my piece and no doubt its controversial !

Archived