New Gay Club To Open In Sheffield!

Pussy Cats

i wish them every look with it as well think it will be good if they get the place "right" and dont go down the glitter ball and cheesy pop route.

a nice classy bar that serves food etc should if run properly with good promotions etc work well in the area surrounded by appartments and offices.

but if they go down the "100% gay" route it will suffer a bit in the day time as most office workers etc my be put off by it being a "gay" place and not want to be seen in there. IMO

if they aim for the right market in the day time being "office workers" and have plenty of promotional offers and get the food up and running asap they will do pretty damn well.

oh yeh

THank god for Climax! gutted its only once a month though!

and I know there prob be some people going on about more likely to get beaten up in city centre balh blah, Birminghams scene (sorry to keep comparing it but i am from brum so i know it best) is smack in the city centre right by some of the most popular "straight bars" there is never any trouble that i've heard of.

Its not that i need gaybars I infact spend a fair amount of m time in straight bars but its just sad that i dont have a place to take my friends here, whereas in brum you could always go to a good night out in a gay bar becuase they were amazing and not members only half of them aren't even members at all, and there are drinks promotions like £8 in and free drinks until 2am.

Hey DreamyDigs you are clearly not a long time in Sheffield - I wouldnt rubbish Dempseys as a 50s secret bar - its probably the best gay bar in Sheffield and definitely the friendlist - while other bars have came and gone Dempseys has lasted because it concentrates on the basics of what a good gay pub/bar should be ...

- Not Ghetto - allows in straights and gay

- Good well enforced membership policy - Yes you can get in as a guest if you are going with a gay member and anyway after a few visits you will want to join which you can do easily on any night

- Good priced food and beer

- Very friendly door and bar staff and regulars

- Great dance floor upstairs for laters - always plays "current" music

- The best Karaoke in Sheffield on Wed and Sun nights

- Comfy Seating

- Great pool Table

- Cocktail Bar

- SOmetimes runs other events of interest to gay people such as gay artists exhibitions

- And its got a cage upstairs what more could you ask for !!!

AND AS FOR THE BIRMINGHAM SCENE - IM SORRY JUST COS ITS CENTRAL NEAR TRAIN STATION THATS ITS ONLY POINT - I HAPPENED TO BE THERE THIS YEAR ON GAY PRIDE DAY AND CHECKED OUT HIRST ST - AND ALL THE BARS WERE TOO BACKED NO ATMOSPHERE AND I HAVE NEVER SEEN SUCH A COLLECTION OF DRUG ADDLED PEOPLE IN MY LIFE !

The best bar was the straight one near the rail station that decided to have drag on for the weekend ... welll it was great till someone popped a balloon in the middle of a drag queens act and she threw a major wobbly - have you ever seen someone being chased around a pub by a Shirley Bassey lookalike wielding a large sequined stiletto - not a pretty sight !

Hey DreamyDigs you are clearly not a long time in Sheffield - I wouldnt rubbish Dempseys as a 50s secret bar - its probably the best gay bar in Sheffield and definitely the friendlist - while other bars have came and gone Dempseys has lasted because it concentrates on the basics of what a good gay pub/bar should be ...

- Not Ghetto - allows in straights and gay

- Good well enforced membership policy - Yes you can get in as a guest if you are going with a gay member and anyway after a few visits you will want to join which you can do easily on any night

- Good priced food and beer

- Very friendly door and bar staff and regulars

- Great dance floor upstairs for laters - always plays "current" music

- The best Karaoke in Sheffield on Wed and Sun nights

- Comfy Seating

- Great pool Table

- Cocktail Bar

- SOmetimes runs other events of interest to gay people such as gay artists exhibitions

- And its got a cage upstairs what more could you ask for !!!

AND AS FOR THE BIRMINGHAM SCENE - IM SORRY JUST COS ITS CENTRAL NEAR TRAIN STATION THATS ITS ONLY POINT - I HAPPENED TO BE THERE THIS YEAR ON GAY PRIDE DAY AND CHECKED OUT HIRST ST - AND ALL THE BARS WERE TOO BACKED NO ATMOSPHERE AND I HAVE NEVER SEEN SUCH A COLLECTION OF DRUG ADDLED PEOPLE IN MY LIFE !

The best bar was the straight one near the rail station that decided to have drag on for the weekend ... welll it was great till someone popped a balloon in the middle of a drag queens act and she threw a major wobbly - have you ever seen someone being chased around a pub by a Shirley Bassey lookalike wielding a large sequined stiletto - not a pretty sight !

That point is a matter of debate, suppose its all down to what you prefer of course.

Where would yo suggest is better for the gay crowd to go to ?
Why does it "have" to be a gay bar...

Karaoke is karaoke - are there special songs only for gay people ?

At the moment I do a Wednesday karaoke night down at the hubs building, you would be surprised at the number of gays that go there...

There are also 2 other karaokes on wednesdays within a 5 minute walk from dempseys where everyone is welcome...

At the moment I do a Wednesday karaoke night down at the hubs building, you would be surprised at the number of gays that go there...

There are also 2 other karaokes on wednesdays within a 5 minute walk from dempseys where everyone is welcome...

I thought you would plug your night, thats why I replied to your post,lol, so where is the "hubs building" ?

I thought you would plug your night, thats why I replied to your post,lol, so where is the "hubs building" ?
Its the old national centre for popular music across from the showroom cinema.

And it wasnt a deliberate plug, have enough folks down there to keep me busy. Pity the contract ends the middle of next month with all the students going home, but looking on the bright side, theres always next term :D

I was just pointing out that there are plenty of karaokes on wednesdays not far from dempseys to keep everyone happy.

And when I said in my original post that it was a matter of debate, I actually meant that the best on a wednesday is run by KJ Venom....he is a fantastic KJ and also has one of the best voices I have ever heard at a karaoke.

Better shut up now as his head is big enough as it is :hihi:

Well a lot of people would be put off by the Hubs building as its pereived as young students only - and as for the other two you are referring to well I think I can guess one of them 5 mins from Dempseys and (apart from its being a dump) its random "banning at a whim" approach to any customers who appear "different" in any way from the locals - as several people I have spoken to mentioned ... and God knows where or what the other one is ... nope its Dempseys for me every time - its where the best singers sing <ahem>

Yes I am clearly a short time in Sheffield and I have been very unimpressed. I went to Dempseys (as a member) on Saturday at about 10-11 with a friend (also a member - as it forced upon us) and his boyfriend and we were told NO guests.

If by no atmosphere in Birmingham you mean that because everyone isn't forced into one dingy club so they don't all get to know each other and probably all sleep with each other too, and that the bars are packed because people actually want to go down HUrst Street then fine, but Birmingham has a great atmosphere! You are talking about G-Bar which is one of many "metrosexual bars" round the place, they usually host afterparties on MOnday nights until about 7am.

See you say dance floor i see nothing much more than my kitchen floor that can only baout about 40-50people if that.

Yes it is near New Street Station whats your point? its on the same strip as the Arcadian, two mins from Bullring, next to the Chinese and Irish Quarters, runs along the city's best theatre and is a 5min walk down the hill from Broad Street the main straight strip in Birmingham meaning you can go with straight friends to anywhere you like and move on throughout the night if you like or not.

Not Ghetto - not ghetto is just asking for ID at the door, not questioning folk whether you kow this is a gay venue and then eyeing them up and down when you say yes.

Because you've been with Dempseys for an obvious long time you've become to accustomed to it because you have no other choice, this is the biggest culture shock to me because i've gone from having an huge choice so much that we've spent over an hour with friends walking up and down not being able to decide where to go. I only glad the straight scene is pretty darn good! Roll on Christmas back to Brum!

I'm really excited about Affinity. For once the gay scene in Sheffield has a decent venue to start from... I just hope it is run well, if it is it will be a huge success.

Hopefully the owners can see the great potential it has as a venue and reap the opportunities, if not it will be a real shame.

Lets also hope everyone supports it.

Once you have the venue you just need to do the basic things right, and I'm sure the team will.

Good luck!

Archived