TV Licensing - Surveillance Society

Do you agree with the tv license.  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree with the tv license.

• Yes
    • No

Indeed. How are the Licensing people supposed to know that you share that address with your fiancee, unless you've told them?

Because they have a record of a license at this adderess.

The problem is the fact that they're usibg information they should not be allowed to gather to harass me into doing their job for them. Regardless of the fact that one cross check would have saved my tax money on the admin needed to send out the letters.

The problem is the fact that they're usibg information they should not be allowed to gather to harass me into doing their job for them.

It's not their job to apply for licences. It's their job to check up on people who may not have one, which - hey, guess what? - is exactly what they're doing here.

Any what possible reason could anyone have for objecting to the TV Licence people knowing who owns a TV? That's kind of the whole point of their existence.

The license is for the address not the individual.

Their advertising makes it look like they know who you are and what you are watching with their omnipotent computer you cannot evade, so it's pretty poor that they're sending demands to addresses that they know already has a license.

Perhaps it's they are trying their luck - mybe a lot of people buy a new TV when moving in, so they think your fiancee may have just moved out taking her license with her. If that's right one in twenty times or something then its financially worth them trying it.

By the way, retailers have been obliged to inform TV licensing of TV etc purchases for many years now. I'd file that law under "strange but harmless". I'd be a lot more concerned if they were storing details of what you watch (as is necessary to send out bills for pay-per-view) and linking that back up to your National Identity Register record because that would just be creepy.

The license is for the address not the individual.

Even that is not always the case. If you were living as two distinct households under the same address (legally separated but neither moved out yet?), I think that technically you'd need a licence each, since neither of you would be part of the other's household.

I doubt they've ever managed to collar anyone for this, though; but it would explain why they don't just assume that, because someone else has a licence at that address, the OP won't need one. It's just possible he might.

Student houses with seperate tenancy contracts (or indeed any flat/house with seperate tenancy agreements) would need a license for each student/person who had a TV in their room.

Shared houses with a joint tenancy agreement are covered by a single license

Which part of this is supposed to be bad?

In my opinion, it's the OP's mangling of the English language: "I cannot believe how bad this has gotten."

Damned Americanisms are getting in everywhere, these days. Let's hope the OP doesn't have the TV stolen if the house gets "burglarised".

In my opinion, it's the OP's mangling of the English language: "I cannot believe how bad this has gotten."

Damned Americanisms are getting in everywhere, these days..

That's not an Americanism, it's an archaism. We used to say "gotten" and have abbreviated it over time.

You could actually argue that the Americans are right on this one ;)

Archived