TV Licensing - Surveillance Society

Do you agree with the tv license.  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree with the tv license.

• Yes
    • No

what is outrageous is when you dont have a telly and they assume you have and so continually bombard you with threatening letters.

They've done this to me at various addresses using various levels of threat, many of them idle threats because Im still waiting for an actual visit.

And I'm sodded if I'm going to use one second of my life replying to one of their communications just because they assume no-one can live without a television.

In my opinion, it's the OP's mangling of the English language: "I cannot believe how bad this has gotten."

Damned Americanisms are getting in everywhere, these days. Let's hope the OP doesn't have the TV stolen if the house gets "burglarised".

It's use was intended and meant to denote past continuous/imperfect tense. If it hadn't been, its use is still entirely acceptable as the perfect past participle of get, especially in certain regional dialects.

Be ill-educated on your own time.

i wonder how it would work with a usb tv receiver, just unplug it and pop in your pocket before answering the door :)

They may a great point of telling us that they can find your receiver even when it's not plugged in. I don't know whether they're telling the truth or not, but if they are, they'd just trace your pocket instead of your computer, so that wouldn't help any.

what is outrageous is when you dont have a telly and they assume you have and so continually bombard you with threatening letters.

They've done this to me at various addresses using various levels of threat, many of them idle threats because Im still waiting for an actual visit.

And I'm sodded if I'm going to use one second of my life replying to one of their communications just because they assume no-one can live without a television.

I'm in the same boat as you, although we do get occasional visits, I take great delight in giving them grief.

What puzzle's me is why people insist in calling it a licence when its nothing but a TAX, even the bbc admit that.

And why is it a criminal offence, not a civil offence not to have one. After all its not an offence not to have a sky or virgin contract is it.

If you already have a license for a TV, and decide to buy a second one for another room, do you have to get a second license? How much are the licenses? Do you need one for a radio?

As I understand it the licence covers all BBC services including radio and the website. 5 Live and 6 Music alone justify the fee in my opinion.

As an aside, am I wrong in thinking you need a licence for each seperate television?

And it amuses me how people won't waste one second of their life replying to the Licence Authority but are quite happy to waste more than that posting on a thread about it...

When we didn't have a telly and got a (completely non-threatening) letter asking why we didn't have a licence, one 2-min phone call sorted it for good. They're hardly scum! Over-reaction eh....

Had it happen to me at work quite a few times. All you need to do is ring TV Licensing up and tell them you've already got a license at your address. Takes 2 minutes.

Same hear ....

Just take the time out to let them know - Problem solved ....:|

They automatically do this when a tv is purchased now these days - and so they should - chances are one day they catch up with someone who hasn't got a license and take the appropriate action :D

I have had them tell me that I am not licensed even though they sent me the license and take a direct debit for it every month :roll: After a while I started throwing the letters away without reading them and then putting the phone down on them when they rang, they soon got the message :hihi: I would have loved them to take me to court as I'd have had my license and bank statements to hand!

I agree that they should just look up the address or make it so that any adult in the property has their name on the license. would save a lot of paperwork sending out all those letters! It is just a phone call though, it will take you longer to read this thread than it would to give them a bell an put them straight. :)

Archived