TV Licensing - Surveillance Society

Do you agree with the tv license.  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree with the tv license.

• Yes
    • No

As I understand it the licence covers all BBC services including radio and the website. 5 Live and 6 Music alone justify the fee in my opinion.

As an aside, am I wrong in thinking you need a licence for each seperate television?

And it amuses me how people won't waste one second of their life replying to the Licence Authority but are quite happy to waste more than that posting on a thread about it...

When we didn't have a telly and got a (completely non-threatening) letter asking why we didn't have a licence, one 2-min phone call sorted it for good. They're hardly scum! Over-reaction eh....

No you don't need a seperate licence, I'm sure at one time the licence covered up to three sets.But looking at this years licence I can't see any where on it that stipulates any amount.

The problem is not with the staff - it is with the organisation and the law. It is one more step towards 1984 and it's such a shame that something so well documented and so often discussed and so vehemently defended against is still ignored by 90% of the general public that will let their government do anything so long as they don't have to hear about it.

Arfle barfle gloop?

So they have a record that Fred Bloggs of 28b Acacia Avenue has a TV licence. If Julia Smith of 28b Acacia Avenue buys a television, how can they possibly know that her usage is covered by his licence?

That doesn't even make sense. You only need one licence per household.

In my opinion, it's the OP's mangling of the English language: "I cannot believe how bad this has gotten."

Damned Americanisms are getting in everywhere, these days. Let's hope the OP doesn't have the TV stolen if the house gets "burglarised".

At least spell it right, that's burglarized. What's gotten into you. Are you jealous cos we don't have to have a license for a TV or to breathe.

And it amuses me how people won't waste one second of their life replying to the Licence Authority but are quite happy to waste more than that posting on a thread about it...

When we didn't have a telly and got a (completely non-threatening) letter asking why we didn't have a licence, one 2-min phone call sorted it for good.

Or even easier.... via e-mail at http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/gethelp/contactus.jsp (so save on a phone call)

That doesn't even make sense. You only need one licence per household.

As has been pointed out a few times on this thread, multiple occupancy households require each tenant to pay for a seperate license. As the name of the person who bought the Tv doesn't match the listed resident, they send out the letter. It is as simple as that.

Some people are just too paranoid about this whole thing - here's something for all those who are scared about who knows what about you....forget the TV license people, or the government......the postman knows where you live! He also knows what magazines you subscribe to, and which companies you order from regularly! By looking at return addresses he knows who you bank with, and also where close relatives reside! Time to barricade the doors and retreat to the paranoid safe-room!

Ignore every letter, and when they finally take you to court, turn up smartly dressed and tell them you have a license and hold it in your hand, also tell the magistrate you have had one all along. Then claim for your time wasted from the TV licensing people. Oh and tip off the local newspaper so they are sat in the public gallery.

Then sit back and watch the TV licensing people have a new **** hole torn by a mad judge :D

I always thought the list was for life, plus the police have no right to say whether or not the guy deserves to be on the list as that is the right of the judge.

Ignore every letter, and when they finally take you to court, turn up smartly dressed and tell them you have a license and hold it in your hand, also tell the magistrate you have had one all along. Then claim for your time wasted from the TV licensing people. Oh and tip off the local newspaper so they are sat in the public gallery.

Then sit back and watch the TV licensing people have a new **** hole torn by a mad judge :D

Wow....you mixed two thread up somehow there :)

As for the 'let it go to court then sue' idea...great plan! They will pay out from, erm, the money that we all pay them...so our TV license payments will be wasted on court costs and payouts! That's worth every penny of my money!

Archived