Pubs in Meersbrook

randolf

Do you know what the pubs are like on Derbyshire lane?

Google maps tell me there is the Cross Scythes, the Prince of Wales and the Mount Pleasant Inn.

The Cross Scythes is probably the worst pub in Sheffield in my experience :gag: although the 'Slimming World every Wednesday' banner along the top does make me laugh! :D

Meersbrook is a great area, I love it but the lack of good locals is a definate drawback. The Sheaf would probably be my first choice as the ale is superb, but as mentioned, it doesn't seem to feel like a proper pub to me somehow....bit too bright and yokely (if thats a word!)

Don't go near The Sheaf.

It is far too brightly lit, and if you have the temerity to ask for a lager, you get harrangued, by the staff for not trying one of their "delicious" real ales.

Ah, not now with the imported lagers and the bud and now bud black. A lot more people seem to be drinking lager in there recently.

Can't see that it's doing them any harm anyway. Was full from before 7 last tues evening.

Like Delmonte said The Cross Sythes pub is what people may call a Sh*t hole! The prince is good on Wednesday nights for the quiz but the landlady runs it like a muppet!

Mount pleasent is like somebodys front room (Too Small)

Sportsman is too too Quiet and empty?

The Crown is Quality as is the White Lion if you ask me?

Shakespeare was ran by the landlord of the cross sythes daughter! She's a right miserable sod! lol

I prefer t'Sheaf but t'White Lion is OK. Wasn't keen on t'Shakespeare t'one time I went in - beer weren't right good and it was a 'local's local', if you know worramean?

never bin in t'Crown or t'Bridge but I only do real ale pubs anyway.

I live nearest t'Sportsman in Norton Lees but it's got so run down lately we don't bother. It needs someone to do to it what they did to the equally run down Sun Inn at Nether Green, which is great now!

Funnily enough I've never bin in any of the Derbyshire lane boozers.

The Sheaf is the best for beer. The White Lion is best for local character(s!).

The Sheaf staff used to harangue folks for asking for Fosters when they had it on. But when customers could have had Warsteiner or Erdinger instead they probably deserved it.

In my experience the sales split nowadays is probably 70:30 in favour of ale to lager.

The problem with the Sheaf is the clientèle. A comment to which you will either nod your head to sagely or disagree with vociferously.

Archived