Anyone know how to trace ancestors prior to 1800??

song41

I have just started doing my family tree and have managed to trace ancestors back to 1800 but I'm stuck and don't know where to look for records prior to 1800.

Any help would be much appreciated:)

Have you checked the Family Search (IGI) on the internet?

Try contacting the local history group of the area where you are searching.

You may find someone else has researched your family and has all the info.

Most of these groups are on the net and usually have a forum where you can post questions etc.

Hope this helps you.

Good Luck

Happy Days!

have just started doing my family tree and have managed to trace ancestors back to 1800 but I'm stuck and don't know where to look for records prior to 1800.

Any help would be much appreciated

The parish registers Baptisms, Marriages and Burials are deposited with the archives or record office for the area they were born.

I would treat with caution any information you obtain from the internet. A chap on genesreunited....took the information from my tree and placed it on his own...the problem was he had them all born in Derby, Derbyshire when in fact they were born in Baslow and Eckington, Derby is 35 miles from Eckington. If anyone takes this information from his tree and tries to check it they will be barking up the wrong tree.

I have now removed my tree from Genes.The best piece of advise I can give is to check everthing you find and prove as you go, one generation at a time. This usually means buying certificates.

Kind Regards

Tuppie

http://www.sheffieldfhs.org.uk

You would need to search for parish registers in the area where you last found your ancestors, but these are not sufficient on their own as some names can be common, so you would also need to search for wills, apprenticeship records, deeds etc, and piece them together in a jigsaw to give a correct line.

Is the family you are searching for in Sheffield? If so post more details and I can help you with where to search next.

It is very important, as Tuppie says, to verify the line you have found so far, generation by generation back from yourself with certificates and other primary evidence, before you search further back.

Archived