My Freeview box caught fire!

Same thing happened to my daughters dont know the make though

but it just blew up with a loud bang and they hadnt had it long. they just went out and bought another as they said that it was only cheap anyway but now I see that if it was not just a one off these things could be dangerous,:rant:

Might also be worth contacting the local fire-prevention and trading standards officers. They would probably be very interested in a consumer 'durable' that spontaneously combusts.

Mention that you're taking this action in your conversation with Tesco's head office. ;)

because I had bought it 2 years ago and no longer had the receipt they could only refund £10 off the price of a new one because it had been reduced to that price recently.I think this is really unfair,I dont think that I should have to pay to replace their faulty goods!I declined their offer and said I will take it up with head office instead.Am I being unreasonable?I'm not after compensation I just want the faulty item replaced(although obviously not with the same brand)If any one else has this make of box please unplug it if you go out because I hate to think what could have happened if this had happened while I was out.

If it's 2 years old and you have no receipt and they offered you a £10 refund of a new one, I think that's quite reasonable.

It doesn’t matter if you have no receipt, or if it is out of its guarantee. It’s about the product being fit for purpose and used within an acceptable period of time. 2 years is not beyond the acceptable lifespan of such a product and it is obviously not fit for purpose.

Though I agree, it shouldn't have 'self combusted'. When you buy these cheap products, I don't think you can expect a massive life span. I bought a digibox which lasted about 15 months before it was knackered. It only cost about 20 quid though. So I bought a new one.

TBH I think offering you £10 was quite generous. Think about it, if that particular box is now for sale for £10 then its obviously a cheap, unworthy item using cheap unworthy parts.

I've just had a freeview box that I paid £20 for 2 years ago and was hardly used die on me. Am I going to pursue a refund? Hell no!

Buy cheap, buy twice.

It then made a loud pop and a blue flash came out.

Oh dear. Never mind. I suggest you buy a new one. Stuff happens.

A quiet pop and a green flash may have suggested that you were in the running for a free ticket to see Ned Sherrin's 'Unfortunate's of the year award ' ceremony but he's dead, and you're not. Tragic really.I've never understood pathos.

if the solution is not what you would have liked ask them to supply contact details for the manufacturer and approach them along the same lines :D

DO NOT approach the manufacturer. Your contract is with Tesco as the seller of the goods, and approaching the supplier will muddy any claim you may subsequently want to bring against Tesco.

Archived