Vernon Hookway - Original Grindstone

CHAIRBOY

The death of Vernon Hookway was announced in Oct 11's "Star".

I presume this is the very same Vernon Hookway who was mine host of the "Original Grindstone"that stood some 80 yards (across the road) from the "Old Grindstone" which remains in position at the bottom of Lydgate Lane.

Vernon's pub would have been across the road from the bottom of Bute Street on land which now belongs to the council.

The deceased's late wife was called Winifred so perhaps someone can confirm that this death is consistent with the landlord of the former Ward's hostelry?

I knew Win and Vernon Hookway very well, I didn't know that either of them had died.Could you tell me when Win died?My Dad used to frequent the Queen's on Scotland st!

win died only a couple of months ago i went to the funeral ,vern was ill and in a home when she died he died last week the funeral is on tuesday.,my stepmom maudie used to play organ at the queens on scotland steet dad jim was compere,ah......! yes those were the days vern was my dads best mate and avery nice bloke as well great hosts the pair of them and what a great voice as well, no one could sing killarny like vern could RIP both of you

win died only a couple of months ago i went to the funeral ,vern was ill and in a home when she died he died last week the funeral is on tuesday.,my stepmom maudie used to play organ at the queens on scotland steet dad jim was compere,ah......! yes those were the days vern was my dads best mate and avery nice bloke as well great hosts the pair of them and what a great voice as well, no one could sing killarny like vern could RIP both of you

Hi, Thanks for the info.I bet My Mum and Dad would have known your stepmom and dad, they used to go in there in the seventies, in fact my sister had her wedding reception there.Very sad to hear of the deaths of them both.

I believe Vernon had a brother called Jim, with whom I am familiar from Sheffield's Owlerton Greyhound Stadium in the 60's. Jim trained at Owlerton and achieved a fantastic feat in 1967 when he sent out the first two dogs home in the Greyhound Derby of that year at the White City in London. More astonishing is the fact that the two dogs, Tric Trac and Spectre, were full brothers.

I imagine there was only one Vernon Hookway. In the early 70s he kept The Queens on Scotland Street.

sorry to here about vern and winnie my grandparents were always in the queens when they were landlord and landlady beattie and joseph fox

all 4 will be drinking in that great pub in the sky

god bless em

Hi, Thanks for the info.I bet My Mum and Dad would have known your stepmom and dad, they used to go in there in the seventies, in fact my sister had her wedding reception there.Very sad to hear of the deaths of them both.

hi whitehorses ime sure your parents will have known my dad and maud every one in sheffield knew the organist (maudie brown} as she was known round the pubs and clubs you couldnt get in the queens on a weekend when she was playing,as i said those were the days....! and again i repeat vern and win were a lovely couple who will be sadley missed by many

• 3 months later...

I know I'm very late to join this thread but i would like to say thanks for all the nice comments you've left. Vernon and Win were my auntie and uncle and i know they are very much missed by a lot of people. I have a lot of very fond memories of them when i was growing up.

Archived