Remember YTS and YOP Schemes

Lee James

Leaving school in 1985 was a time when unemployment was huge and the govenment decided to introduce these 'working for pittence' schemes to make their unemployment figures look better! Where did you do yours and did it do you any good?

You mean the

Youths

On

Poverty

Schemes ?

£23.50, for a 40 hour+ week?

oh yes, I remember it well!

People like my friend, being sacked from their legitimate job because the miserly git for whom she worked, realised it could get 2 YOPS-ers for what they were paying my mate?

People supposedly being trained for a job, and supposedly having jobs waiting for them at the end of the course, but, after slogging their guts out for a year dong the cruddiest, most menial tasks, discovering there was no job after all, despite promises, and "there you go, sod-ya! Out on your ear, we'll get another YOPS-er in for a year, and do that to them, when their time comes, too!"

Promised training, and qualifications not materialising... and if they do, they are nothing but mickey mouse certificates, and not worth Jack!

Total swining rip-off. nothing more can be said.

In the 70's, i was sent on a y.o.p scheme (i say sent cos i didnt want office work ) in the personnel office of a local hospital.. i worked monday to friday 9am till 5pm ..half hour dinner. lugging heavy files from the royal hospital as it was to the newly built hospital, in the snow , on foot with a shopping trolley ful of files. Plus filing , working out annual leave, making or fetching coffees and teas, plus much more! i was paid 21.50 per week.

Though i didnt really enjoy an office environment prefering the great out-doors, it did teach me some invaluable office skills, which i use now! didnt enjoy it at the time though!!

• 3 months later...

I did my YTS ot workshop6 ltd just off john st.£27.50 for the first year then £35.00 the second year,made some good friends in those two years some i still see now.I first worked in the foundry but got bored so i switched to concrete products which was much better because it meant going out to various places laying patio's,building concrete fencing etc,ahhhh those were the days (apart from the money)

Archived