Remember YTS and YOP Schemes

Lee James

I did my YTS clerical course at ICI Wilton back in the days when I lived in the Boro!

I got £27.30 a week but also claimed my bus fares back at £6.00 a week. After 3 weeks of working there I managed to secure a lift off a neighbour who I found out worked at an ICI office close to mine! So I used to pocket the extra money each week...:hihi:

:D

I did a YTS at Target based at YMCA back in the 80s pay was dire but had some great times and met some,lets say interesting people:hihi:

Also did ET scheme at workshop 6 in early 90s and secured a full time job out of it,turned out a few of the Instructors at Workshop 6 were my old Instructors from Target back in the 80s.

I did a yts too, mine was at a church doing child care

training, at nether green i think-playgroup training. Then a

community programme scheme which was at a church (again!)

at victoria methodist church also playgroup training ( and it didn't

put me off children) lol met my Husband at the 2nd one in 1988

and we have been married 19 years and have 4 children :)

I did my YTS clerical course at ICI Wilton back in the days when I lived in the Boro!

I got £27.30 a week but also claimed my bus fares back at £6.00 a week. After 3 weeks of working there I managed to secure a lift off a neighbour who I found out worked at an ICI office close to mine! So I used to pocket the extra money each week...:hihi:

:D

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah im telling

• 2 months later...

Did mine as a labourer 1980 to 81. The maximum length of a YOPS was 6 months and I was getting paid £23.50 a week. After that finished the boss kept me on for another 4 months to train the next YOPS employee and paid me £25.00 a week.

I walked out on that job after me and the boss had done some work on a big posh house and he showed me the bill and boasted that he charged the house owner at a rate of 2 men for 4 hours at £25.00 per hour each. That was an absolute fortune in 81. How much did I get paid that week? £25.00

Archived