Remember YTS and YOP Schemes

Lee James

I did a YTS in the restaurant at Debenhams cafe Mon-Fri.

Made more working there extra as a saturday girl, then went to wash glasses at the Nursery Tavern saturday night and then nipped across the road to wait tables at the italian restaurant til about 1am.

Leaving school in 1985 was a time when unemployment was huge and the govenment decided to introduce these 'working for pittence' schemes to make their unemployment figures look better! Where did you do yours and did it do you any good?

i tried a few of them and had fun more than anything initially it was like a school extention! but on the last one i tried at nct i got trained got sent on work placement and im still employed at the same company more than a decade later

lol - I worked at Manpower as clerical support on the running of these schemes. Totally exploitative. I think they are trying to bring something similar back in with raising the school leaving age to 18 and saying that young people will have to do work experience.

Where you located in the Manpower building at the end of the Moor? only asking as I did my YTS at Wigfalls in 1981, filing in the accounts dept. I went to a load of places first but decided on this one because I basically did nothing but make tea all day and chat to the girls in the office. Anyway at the end of it I got an interview and accepted for a Clerical Asst. job at Manpower.

To the person who asked if it was compulsory, I think you either went or the scheme or you got NO benefits.

StJohn

P.S Down with Maggie Thatcher!!!!!

started mine at an engineering firm in 81 i was getting £15.00 a week which went up to £17.50 and they kept me on . my wages went upto £25.00 . but at the end of the day it's a job and it paid my board to my mum, she charged me £10.00 , and of course that left me a measly fiver to keep me going for a whole week..............

Yep i did YTS, crap money, used as a skivvy and do you no what, all theyve done is rename it to EMA. New name still crap money and kids used again as skivvys

EMA is for further education

not for working

how do they get used as skivvys at college :huh:

• 2 weeks later...

My YTS was at a riding school in Holmesfield on Cowley Lane, and then a couple of years later I did a Community Programme at a riding school at Dore. The second one was great, I learnt so much, but not about horses, about life, rock music, dr*gs, booze, cigarettes... met some fantastic characters there! :D

I did mine in 1980 in an insurance brokers, a small office with 4 others who all smoked heavily. I was a general dogsbody and hated it, never worked in an office since! Never smoked either.

Got £25 a week, paid my mum £5 board had a driving lesson, £5 and still managed to go out!

Archived