Royal family

unfortunately, it'd never happen...

I am not in any way a royalist, I think that, most of the time, they are little more than a waste of time and money.

they are over privileged, they don't actually "do" anything, except open a few events, and walk around town centres being given bouquets...

it's about time that the civil list was dropped... or at the very least severely curtailed.

There are very few among the royals who are poverty stricken. look at all the lands that Charles owns; the vast estates in the Duchy of Cornwall alone would leave him with more than adequate independent means.

Princes William and Harry, if I remember rightly, inherited 16 million from their mother's estate. I don't know anyone who could not live the "swish-est" of lifestyles on that sort of money.

If they have a private fortune of so much, why do they need civil list monies? what is wrong with financing their lifestyle out of their own money, like joe public has to?

PT

The closest anyone ever came was a nutter in teh 1970s who tried to abduct Anne in the Mall.

He got quite a long way down the road to managing it as well, I seem to remember. I believe the guy was mentally ill; the wags of the day said that he'd proved it by trying to abduct Princess Anne.

I think that there would be a lot of VERY backdoor negotiations whilst the powers that be lined up everyone from the Boy SCouts to the SAS to get a rescue operation done. I don't think that they'd let them die, but it would either be a rescue OR a quietly negotiated release.

However, were it Prince Charles and the person in charge of the Government team was Charles Clarke or John Reid, I think we might be needing the services of his son quite quickly...;)

Joe

If the Royal Family was kidnapped there'd be huge outrage.

But why should there be anymore outrage than if my family was kidnapped.

Why do they get such privilege for not really doing much?

As PT says, the civil list should be dropped, or curtailed. Some of the ordinary people's money goes to pay for the Royal Family's possesions.

Disclaimer=I am in no way a marxist :P

:o

Not to change the subject,

but a few years ago (not sure exactly when), wasn't there a man who broke into Buckingham Palace, and actually made it into the Queen's bedroom?

That had to have been absolutely frightening for her. She wakes up and there's a deranged man sitting on her bed?!

Sierra

I think that the royals do add lots of value to our country. and in the balance, especially when you take into account how much the yanks spend when they visit. They pay for themselves.

If we started again from scratch, noone would EVER have a royal family in this day and age, but it's there and it is slimmed down to bare bones compared to when Betty exceeded to the throne in 1952 or what ever it was. And it's the best tourist attraction in europe.

Way way back whenever, the royal family were only the biggest of all the mafia style gangsters who ran the organised crime - or taxes as they were called. More minor thugs became earls and barons etc.

The royals actually owned the army and navy which annoyed the newly fangled government who asked 'can we be in charge of the army?' The royal answer was yes but what's in it for us? The beginnings of the civil list was the answer - the royals sold the armed forces to the government on the never never. We're still paying now.

However, if you wanted to reverse the deal and pay them back it would cost you a lot more than the civil list costs you.

Interesting programme on the box t'other night. It seems there was a ******* king and ******* queen who actually were not the correct line of descent. Tony Robinson traced the real descendants of the royal line to a bloke in Australia - we should have King Mike on the throne now alongside Queen Nolene - their daughter would be Princess Rebecca and next in line to the throne would be Prince Jet!

• 11 years later...