Family History help

spook

A big ta for everyone who helped with the location of South Street, Park and especially to Roy for the map :thumbsup:

Right next question(s):

(1) My Grandad was born on Bailey Street in 1922. A relative has told me that the address was 2C4H Bailey Street. Does anyone have any idea what this means? Would it be 2 Court 4 House? If so how did that work? :confused:

(2) Another relative apparantly lived at Robin Hood Yard, Attercliffe Road, attercliffe. Can anyone help with this location?

Thank you :)

My grandma lived in a court.

It was a square of houses round a yard, the yard held the outside toilets but was quite biig. the front houses faced the st and had 2 rooms downstairs front door onto the st back door into the yard. Up the sides of the yard were brick walls and at the back of the yard were a row of back to back houses, one room downstairs one bedroom on top and the attic, 3 rooms in all plus a celler. So depending which number was which, you had a front room or not. The copper bath hung on a nail outside the back door.

hazel

The courts went down the st with one genel for each yard

the front houses having an entrance to the St the back houses entrance was the genel and the yard. The next st had its back houses , back to back with the first st, then the yard and then the front houses Simple really!!!.

hazel

Guest poppins
Originally posted by hazel

The courts went down the st with one genel for each yard

the front houses having an entrance to the St the back houses entrance was the genel and the yard. The next st had its back houses , back to back with the first st, then the yard and then the front houses Simple really!!!.

hazel [/quote

My Grandma lived in that type house Hazel, genel between 4 or 5 houses, all had their own outside lavs, i'm sure there still there, her's was on providence road in walkley, just corporation houses well built, front room facing street, no one ever went in it, big couch and a gas fire, that was it.

My grabdma used her front room to do her ironing with two flat irons one on the fire and one in use. she used to hold them with a cloth and spit on the iron to see if it was hot.

She had 8 children but the last 3 girls were close together in age and my mom said they only had one set of goingout clothes beween them, so they were either too big, too small, or just right when they took one of them out. She washed their cclothes at night and dried them for next morning.

hazel

Robin hood yard was listed in the 60's as 548 Attercliffe road behind the Robin hood pub Hesslewood steel used it, in 1927 listed also was court 24/26/28 next to Hartleys the printers.

Up to around 1900 Attercliffe road was split into 3, from Saville st was Tinsley road then Carlton road then High st.I have traced robin hoods yard in 1881 census lots of people lived there

was behind the Robin hood pub.

Originally posted by spook

A big ta for everyone who helped with the location of South Street, Park and especially to Roy for the map :thumbsup:

Right next question(s):

My Grandad was born on Bailey Street in 1922. A relative has told me that the address was 2C4H Bailey Street. Does anyone have any idea what this means? Would it be 2 Court 4 House? If so how did that work? :confused:

Thank you :)

Happy to help, spook,

in respect to your query about the address beiong designated as "2c4h"

are you sure about the H?

in the good-old-bad-old days, in the time of the back-to-back(B2B) housing, the B2B's as someone has said, already, were arranged around shared courtyards, which contained the shared lavatories and, often, a communal water pump.

The address would usually be written as something like 2C4, (or alternatively as 2, Ct 4) which would mean (house number) number 2, court 4.

It could be that the 4 is the court, and the 2 is the house, but i have never seen it written in that way...(she muses,, thoughtfully....) have you looked the addresses up, in the Kelly's Directory for the period when you think your family were in residence there? that might clarify it! Kelly's directories are available at the Local Studies Library. they are a sort of electoral roll, of names of residents at each address for a certain year. they can be very useful.

My grandma and grandpa, at the time of my mother's birth was "6ct12 Sheffield Road, Tinsley";

that's "six, court twelve", S'R so they were house 6, court twelve.

The B2B houses were often very densely packed into a small area.

Only a hundred/ hundred-and-fifty years ago,the shared "sanitation" made the spread of diseases like cholera and typhoid rife. thank god for better medicine, and better sanitation!

PT

I was born at 14/9 Brightmore St. That was 14th court, 9th house so in Brightmore St the courts came first and the house numbers second. I have always assumed that this was the same everywhere.

Plain Talker has got the general setup right but don't know if anyone had a shared water pump - well before my time if they did.

Originally posted by extaxman

I was born at 14/9 Brightmore St. That was 14th court, 9th house so in Brightmore St the courts came first and the house numbers second. I have always assumed that this was the same everywhere.

Plain Talker has got the general setup right but don't know if anyone had a shared water pump - well before my time if they did.

ty extaxman..

I am referring to the really, really primitive courts, that were amongst the first to be cleared under the slum clearance schemes, almost a hundred years ago, when the council first started building 'better' housing such as on edward street flats, and lambert street/ furnace hill/ garden street/gibraltar street, which were among Sheffield's first council-built housing. Today, even *they* seem primitive, but, by the standards of the day, they were a huge improvement on the insanitary, and disease-ridden slums they replaced.

(BTW, ETM, living on Brightmore Street, you would have not been that far from my grandparent's and great grand parents homes. They were "off the Canada", my granny growing up at 6/12 Summer Street, -very nearly the same as my mother's address at Tinsley- then, before the 'slums' of Fawcett Street came down, they lived on there, before being decanted to Gleadless Valley)

PT

Archived